LED lighting be an advance?

williamrhodes

Originally Posted by phtby
http:///forum/post/2616161
i recently went to florida and when i was down there i finally saw 1 in person ok maybe i saw about 100 of them in person ... there was an awesome store called the coral corral and they have them over every tank in the store even the 600gallon tubs that the have... the looked great i didnt understand what the green bulbs were for but they were damn bright and ran cooller then even t5s in my opinion... they had all the models there was the one the replicated 2 250 metal halides and the ones the replicate 2 400 metal halide.... well they were selling them for 3800 and i was like so tempted...... but i was talking to one of the workers and he flat out told me that these things were garbage.... not that they didn't work but seriously a pain in the ass...... he said every morning they come in and at least 2or 3 are not working.... he told me its the ciruit boards they rust so fast and burn up that basically they are far from ready to be bought..... he says thats how they start there day everyday changing circuit boards... i damn well i dont wanna be doing that..... but anyway on a good note when they are actually are on they are absolutly sexy.... my 2 pennies
ok I live in Florida, where is the Coral Corral I want to go. thanks!

heavyroller

William,
I googled coral corral and it looks like it is near Tampa Downs. Lucky for me I live in St. Pete and might take a trip there this weekend.

phtby

sorry i have been so busy i havent had time to keep up with this ....
the coral corral
13510 prestige place
tampa, fl 33653
its a awesome place

demcel

Let me warn those of you that are looking for a more reasonably priced LED light about a place on the net called "LedReefLights.com".They make lots of claims on their site about having a PAR equal to a 200w MH, but what they don't tell you is that that is only to a depth of 16". How many reef tanks do you know of that are 16" or less deep(except for a nano which these lights are much too bulky for). I wish i had known before i gave them $400/per light for 4 of them to go on my 210 that i am setting up. Now i'll have to re-budget for some MH and i have some really expensive moon lights.

alex4286

Originally Posted by demcel
http:///forum/post/2653268
Let me warn those of you that are looking for a more reasonably priced LED light about a place on the net called "LedReefLights.com".They make lots of claims on their site about having a PAR equal to a 200w MH, but what they don't tell you is that that is only to a depth of 16". How many reef tanks do you know of that are 16" or less deep(except for a nano which these lights are much too bulky for). I wish i had known before i gave them $400/per light for 4 of them to go on my 210 that i am setting up. Now i'll have to re-budget for some MH and i have some really expensive moon lights.

hell id keep it and just get a little more LR and place the corals only on the top of the rocks. lol

wangotango

Google the Sfiligoi Galaxy. They have a LED and a LED/T5ho unit that look pretty cool. Each LED has its own heatsink and socket so they can be easily changed.
IMO American companies are pretty far behind in this department. I've seen some pretty sick systems from Japan.
-Justin

apos

I saw Tullio Dell Aquila at a reef club talk as well. Seemed very knowledgeable, and his company basically designs all sorts of fixtures for the industry (halides, t5s, etc), but doesn't do direct retail to consumers (only to manufacturers), making him at least a little more reliable than a direct consumer companies.
As others noted, his advice is to wait until they start selling LED systems without the goofy and complex computer controllers that add thousands unnecessarily to the cost. Building the computer control into the lights is the wrong way to do it in any case: have a port on the lights, but let the controller be it's own product. Leave the lights so that they will work as desired regardless of some buggy computer.

xtreeme

LED's>MH. Two reasons. One it uses less watts and makes less heat in end (due to watts). It lasts longer.
Last MH way is made tends to put out UV. I know someone will say the envelope filters UV. Yes somewhat but not all. I was into Building projecters few years back and they were testing many lights. Some used lux meters on MH and even ones with envelope emited some UV. As the K goes up more UV it makes high end of light is UV low is IR of course. Reef lights often high k. I do not trust them. From the heat to UV they just arent made for being over water with NO UV glass as most DIY hoods. Be carefull, read about MH bulbs and UV. You can use MH but be safe.
LEDs you just setup and go. You could make your own led light. Its easy if you know how to solder. Would take a week to make a nice setup with all the leds. LEDs are cheap, LED hoods are $ only due to co charging so much.

nano reefer

Originally Posted by xtreeme
http:///forum/post/2668018
LED's>MH. Two reasons. One it uses less watts and makes less heat in end (due to watts). It lasts longer.
Last MH way is made tends to put out UV. I know someone will say the envelope filters UV. Yes somewhat but not all. I was into Building projecters few years back and they were testing many lights. Some used lux meters on MH and even ones with envelope emited some UV. As the K goes up more UV it makes high end of light is UV low is IR of course. Reef lights often high k. I do not trust them. From the heat to UV they just arent made for being over water with NO UV glass as most DIY hoods. Be carefull, read about MH bulbs and UV. You can use MH but be safe.
LEDs you just setup and go. You could make your own led light. Its easy if you know how to solder. Would take a week to make a nice setup with all the leds. LEDs are cheap, LED hoods are $ only due to co charging so much.
yeah, except no coral will grow under LED's, so MH is way better.

xtreeme

Not even soft coral. Most that doesnt need strong light. Anyway only two things to light, the intensity (lumens) and the spectrum (wavelength from the light). They are bright enough but the pure white leds werent full spectrum before. It could be used with a VHO florescent. I think with both you will all you need.
Has there been a study on the diff?

nano reefer

Originally Posted by xtreeme
http:///forum/post/2670147
Not even soft coral. Most that doesnt need strong light. Anyway only two things to light, the intensity (lumens) and the spectrum (wavelength from the light). They are bright enough but the pure white leds werent full spectrum before. It could be used with a VHO florescent. I think with both you will all you need.
Has there been a study on the diff?
yeah, you could also put LED's with MH. LED's have no Par value.

nano reefer

Originally Posted by nastrodamous
http:///forum/post/2673910
what does led stand for???
light-emitting diode. i learned that from a mystical place known as "Google", not many people know about it, so i dont expect people would know to use it.

wangotango

Originally Posted by Nano Reefer
http:///forum/post/2674002
yeah, you could also put LED's with MH. LED's have no Par value.
Have you done tests? While I agree that they still have a long ways to go before they can be compared with T5 or halides, people have kept coral under them.
-Justin

spiderwoman

I'm finally going to get lights up on our 150 tank on Sunday or Monday and we are testing one of the new LED bulbs (10k) between 2 400W MH that will be using Radium 20k bulbs. I already know that the LED is going to be more yellow than white, but I want to see how good the penetration is.

fishygurl

Originally Posted by Nano Reefer
http:///forum/post/2674003
light-emitting diode. i learned that from a mystical place known as "Google", not many people know about it, so i dont expect people would know to use it.
yes i feel the same way at times, and when they say they want to see other peoples experiences its like no one knows there is a search button for common questions..
maybe we are all just lazy? lol