LED Lighting

seschaefer

I am in the process of planning out a 3 Gal pico tank. I was looking for a way to set-up a LED light system hoping to reduce the heat from lighting. I know there are threads started on this, and I am looking for them. While doing that I was wondering if anyone out there can give me some quick info on it, either DIY or something already made for purchase.
thanks,
sean

There are some great DIY articles on the web about LED its not difficult if you are a DIY type and can solder. Check your PM for a link

seschaefer

Thanks for the link, it was exactly what i needed. From the research i have done this light is comparable to MH, if this is true then there is an endless possibility to what i can keep in my tank light wise. DOes this sound true to you?

I know a a few LED systems and all claim the same or better than MH/T5 Par readings, yet I cant find any information that truly gives you the PAR vs number of LED readings. That said 2 tanks I kow from very trusted sources are running LED with a full mix of corals including stonies, and there is good growth and color. We are going to take some PAR reading froma series of tanks under different lighting to see, but seems LED will allow just bout everything, the key will be matching the correct # of LED/drivers/control sysem to achieve the best PAR for each tank. I would consider if your going DIY to get the variable Buckpuck (diver), one there isnt much coast difference dn 2 by adding a small digital dimmer you can actually control the fade in /out of your LED much like what PFO was trying to do with the overpriced Solaris.

J

jetskiking

Originally Posted by fraggle rock
http:///forum/post/3138784
I know a a few LED systems and all claim the same or better than MH/T5 Par readings, yet I cant find any information that truly gives you the PAR vs number of LED readings. That said 2 tanks I kow from very trusted sources are running LED with a full mix of corals including stonies, and there is good growth and color. We are going to take some PAR reading froma series of tanks under different lighting to see, but seems LED will allow just bout everything, the key will be matching the correct # of LED/drivers/control sysem to achieve the best PAR for each tank. I would consider if your going DIY to get the variable Buckpuck (diver), one there isnt much coast difference dn 2 by adding a small digital dimmer you can actually control the fade in /out of your LED much like what PFO was trying to do with the overpriced Solaris.
I actually got the chance to see some testing. PFO had a booth set up at MACNA last year. They had two identical cubes set up. One with the 24" solaris and one with their 400w halide pendant Cant remember which brand of bulb but it was new (I helped set up the booth and put it in). They also had a Kill O Watt and quantum PAR meter attached to both. The PAR was pretty equivelent on both cubes and the solaris was only drawing a little over 250w. Like you stated its gonna depend on the drivers and stuff but I'm convinced that LED's will be the future and can handle any task a Halide does.

scsinet

Looks like someone has been to MACNA XX. I myself was disappointed, but that's another topic.
Anyhoo, to the OP, if you are willing to solder and know your way around electronics, this shouldn't be a difficult project. IMO with a PICO, lighting isn't going to be of too great a concern because I doubt you are going to keep anything in there that is terribly picky about the light.
Check out that famous site where you bid on stuff. I buy Luxeon LEDs for moonlights and such from a seller called LEDHK (I think). He ships out of HK but shipping is suprisingly fast and the LEDs are dirt cheap... about $15 for 10. A mix of the blue and white LEDs will probably work well. High wattage LEDs require a heat sink. For one or two LEDs, I use a piece of aluminum angle channel for them, with a blob of heatsink grease underneath. I usually use a 3.3 ohm, 5w power resistor in series with the LED and drive them at 5 volts. 5v is a nice supply because you can usually get that from an old cellphone charger you can get at Goodwill for a buck.
I bet with a 3 gallon pico, a strip of 3/32" aluminum (google speedy metals), or even better, stainless steel, with two rows of 5 leds (5 blue, 5 white) would give a very satisfactory amount of light. Of course you don't want a million wires running down to a board full of resistors, so you'd want to run the LEDs in series off a single resistor and a higher voltage power supply...

wangotango

With thw hole patent issue, fully assembled fixtures aren't as common, and/or are way to expensive.
DIY is going to be the way to go. There are a lot of how-to threads over on that other big saltwater forum. Most people are using CREE LEDs.
-Justin

seschaefer

Thanks for all the info, i think i have done the right research to get this done, now all that is left is trying to explain to the wife why doing this tank is a good idea. THis will undoubtedly be the hardest part of this entire project.
Keeping my fingers crossed that she will let me get this off the ground.

cidly37

Led aquarium lights are very good,The led aquarium light can help coral and
Grasses grow,it also can makes your aquarium looks beautiful.
Cidly’s grow light are very good and cheap.