LED lighting

snakeblitz33

There is a lot of information out there... perhaps it would be better if you told us your tank specs ... how many gallons, how deep is the tank, how tall is the tank, how long is the tank... etc. what kind of corals you want to keep or if it is just fish only...

There are a lot of factors to consider when it comes to LED lighting.

crazzykracker

Led sucks its only for soft coral yea it saves on electric bill but mh id much better I dont care what the led bs say place coral w same watts in led and mh mh out does led especially w hard coral led diodes burn out 10,000 hrs bs led is for viewing they have more par per watt but the pam is crap for those who don't know color spectrum go mh

acrylic51

Led sucks its only for soft coral yea it saves on electric bill but mh id much better I dont care what the led bs say place coral w same watts in led and mh mh out does led especially w hard coral led diodes burn out 10,000 hrs bs led is for viewing they have more par per watt but the pam is crap for those who don't know color spectrum go mh
I guess "they" suck because of user use.....not all LEDS are created equal and at times improper acclimation of LEDS to their corals lead to your evaluation. So if you'd like to put some specs up before you say "suck" you offer none of us any valuable information.....

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzykracker http:///t/397617/led-lighting#post_3545701
I guess my tank "sucks" because I am running LED's. Hmm....I am keeping LPS, SPS, and zoas. I also have a RBTA that is thriving. Hmmm...

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzykracker
I guess my tank "sucks" because I am running LED's. Hmm....I am keeping LPS, SPS, and zoas. I also have a RBTA that is thriving. Hmmm...

I agree Krista.......I'm using a cheap version OceanRevive S026 temporarily (1) unit over my DT and have 5 different caps, green stylo, purple milli, anthelia, a small piece of hammer and another piece of SPS I can't recall off the top of my head, but if LEDs suck I'll have to post pics of the polyp extension on the SPS and growth in just under a month.....bad thing is my DT is new and just finished cycling so I would think the LEDs are doing their job.....I know lighting is only a percentage of things, but I do have to attribute success to the LEDs and ESV salt with precise parameters.......

tur4k

A good LED fixture will work fine for pretty much any type of coral. There are lots and lots of people that have excellent growth using LED's with SPS, LPS and softies. The most common complaints that I've seen are that they can make reds look washed out and some fixtures give you the "disco effect". It can be tricky transitioning from one type of lighting to another. It's very easy to bleach your corals when you first setup a new fixture.

I'm currently using AI Hydra's in my mixed reef. The switchover to LED's was a bit rocky at first. I had them cranked up too high and got some bleaching in some of my SPS and my bubble tip anemone, but I dialed them back and everything recovered. I haven't had any issues after that.

tur4k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy01 http:///t/397617/led-lighting#post_3544618
Thinking about going LED , how much do you need compared to T-5 and MH for corals ?

Depends on the fixture and the optics. Most commercial fixtures have a recommended maximum coverage area and depth. I have a 24" deep tank. I have an AI Hydra for every 24 inches of surface area. My Hydra's are only set to around 60% at peak hours.