LED lights

nudibranch

I'm trying to find a way to put a moon light on a nano reef (approx 3/4g). Am I looking for the mcd intensiy level to determine if it will be right? I found one w/ 85mcd with a 470nm average and 465nm peak. Do you think this will work? Heres the link for all the info on the LED.

gregvabch

i'd say that led would work. you can pick up a dimmer switch (potentiometer) from radio shack in case it's too bright.

masterreef

85 mcd is not very bright but you can add multiples in parallel for more light if needed. There are blue LED's available up into the 1000's of mcd per LED.

robchuck

Originally posted by MasterReef
85 mcd is not very bright but you can add multiples in parallel for more light if needed.

Agreed. The LEDs I use are almost 4,000mcd, and operate at the same wavelengths as described in your original post.
Rather than wiring several 85mcd LEDs in parallel, I would probably run one LED with at least 2,000mcd of output over a 3-4 gallon tank. Cramming any more than that over your tank will really cramp the space in your canopy.

nudibranch

Well I apppreciate your responses, but this is a 3/4g nano (75% of 1 gallon) not a 3-4g nano. That's why I wasn't looking for a large mcd rating. Do you think 85mcd would still be too bright and that I would need a dimmer switch?

robchuck

Sorry about the 3-4 gallon assumption. One 85mcd should do the job. Rather than making the system complex (unless you want to) with a potentiometer, it would be easy to dim the tank by simply raising the LED higher above the tank. A LED that puts out that small of output should diffuse quickly as it's raised higher above the tank.
What do you plan on using for daytime lighting for the tank?

gregvabch

a pot wouldn't make it "complex", it's just a dimmer switch. well, i guess if you didn't know anything about electronics and wiring then it could make it complex. obviously you do know something since you chose led's with a lower mcd rating for your 3/4g nano. i think one or two of those bulbs would be just fine for a tank that size. what are you going to use as a power supply?

nudibranch

RobChuck - Day-time lighting will initially be a 7W power compact (~6500k maybe a 7000 I dunno its kinda yellowish but not really bad). I'm "retro-fitting" a 13W 50/50 PC on it though (taking apart light replaceing ballast etc..). I could do a 10K 9W but I'd have to buy a new socket for it anyway AND it wouldn't fit in the light as well as the 13W will the way I saw someone retrofit it. I'd REALLY like to get 2X7W and have one be actinic and get the complete lighting effect, but they don't make them that I've seen and I think 2X9W would be too much.
gregvabch - I only know as much about LEDs as I've read in this forum and others. I still consider myself EXTREMELY novice, but I'll never learn if I don't play/practice. I caught on about the mcd rating cuz everyone was talking about them and that site made it point blank that it was intensity. I've been a fish hobbyist for 15yrs now don't ask me how I overlooked this. I'm hopping to use a ~3V power supply (from a computer store??? it will plug into the wall wont it?) to power it. Something lower than a 3.6V so I wont need a resistor and it will also diminish the max output. What do you think?

gregvabch

i used an old cell phone charger that i had lying around the house. resistors aren't a bad thing but if you wanna stay away from all the extra's the way you described should work.