LED lights

ajroc31

I have noticed that more and more led lights are popping up on ----, but they are not the high power solaris types. Considering the price, I might be willing to risk buying them to see how it looks, and if it provides any benefits to the tank. I am trying to get rid of my MH, I really don;t like them hanging from the ceiling. Has anyone had any experiences with the inexpensive leds, or is it just a waste of money?

kellenr

If your corals/tank are 'trained' to Metal Halide, they're gonna have a rude awakening with with LED's! They wont even compare to the MH. Maybe soon something will be out but as for now all those fixtures are EXTREMELY expensive and provide lower end light.

mr_x

you can do a search on the solaris fixture and you'll find alot of folks that have had bad luck with them. i've seen a few tanks with them and i also think they look like crap. the sleaze-bay fixtures are most likely of lower quality than the solaris, so, i'd stay far away from them.

T

tfolke1

I bought one of the blue Current Powerbright strips to try out over my 75. The light did reach the bottom, but it flowed down in a pretty visible Cone appearance from the four individual bulbs. I think they are a little to strong to use as moon lights. My Zoo's stayed open and looked great under just the blue light, but it did not give the shimmering effect of a metal Halide. The whites may well have a better affect. I was well under the recommended number of strips for that size tank so it may have worked better if I had had more of them.