LED lights

sberto

Well as my tank build continues, I'm looking at upgrading my lights. I'm looking at the Hydra 52HD. To my understanding they are plenty for SPS or LPS, and they are fairly easy to program.

My other option would be the Radions. Which I hear are a little more difficult to program, however a better light.

Any thoughts out there?

2quills

I'm still working with the first generation hydras that were only 26 leds per fixture.

I like what the new radions have to offer although I'm not sure the extra $200 per fixture is worth it vs the 52s.

sberto

I'm in the same boat. Not sure if the extra dollars is worth just the little bit that the Hydra might be lacking...if it is in fact lacking anything.

2quills

I don't think they're really lacking anything. They're both using the same amount of high powered leds. Only real difference is the color Balance. Hydras are a little heavier in the blue spectrum and the radions have more white balance on the low end.

It's a extra $100 for the reef link in order to control the radions. The hydras don't require any external link to control with your phone or smart device.

I've been thinking about upgrading but we haven't seen anything new from Aqua Illuminations in a while. Thinking they are over due for some new generation tech to come out soon.

2quills

In the led world these manufactures tend update/upgrade their designs every 2 years. The HD's are going on a year and a half but they've been using the same hydra platform for about 3.5 years now (maybe longer).

On the up side though, sticking with the same heat sink design etc has been what has helped keep them more affordable than the Radions.

Most of the recent upgrades have more to do with controlablity, encorporating wi-fi, and modest tweaks to color balance and power transfer.

But in the end they are both probably more power than what you'll need. And they are both proven to grow anything you put under them.

My first gen hydras don't seem to have much trouble growing sps in my 120g tank. My only complaint is lack of spread (too much shading on corals) with them so I've supplement with some T5s in the canopy.

sberto

Hmm. I've heard that before about the shadowing. Will have to see how bad it is first and go from there. I'm hoping the coverage will work fine for me. Hoping!