LED vs. Hallide

rsd

Its' been a while since I've posted... but this one caught my attention.
I run a 180 gallon tank with a 95 gallon sump and a 20 gallon side car tank (all plumbed together) to host my mantis shrimp. I made the switch from PC/Halide lights to LED 3 years ago... I love the change.
I have everything from Acro's to softies. Some of my trophie corals are a 13 year old Blue Ridge Coral that is over 14" tall now and bought it at 2". Some tricolor acros and such. I have clams, gorgonians, sponges, zoas, hammers, sea fingers, acros, birdsnests, etc. etc. When I ran Halide/PC I had 750 watts of halide and 768watts of PC. Now I run 12 Ecoxotic par 38's (14k). and the colors of my corals are awesome. Infact, I frag monthly and take large piles to the LFS... my corals usually brown under their halides... especially the acros and SPS corals.
My Fuge is also LED. It is primarily Feit electric houshold LED A19 lamps (3000 and 5000 kelvin). I have to trim and clean out excess algea growth monthly.
When I first made the switch... i had a pretty bad algea bloom and a ton of bleaching. After testing with a par meter I found that the LED's penetrated a higher content than the Halides...
Hope this helps. Go for it. The power and heat savins are amazing!