LED's for main display light?

zero26

Any of you guys use LED's for your main lighting? Is it possible to grow coral and other things under those light?

renogaw

VERY cost prohibitive, but by far have the best technology and great coral growth. i've seen them but do not own them
problem is though, the company that WAS making them got sued for patent infringment, and i don't know if the company who sued them is making the lights anymore.

zero26

I was looking at the current usa's LED's on the marine depot website. There are also a couple different manufacter's

frightmare

This one is cool, but I hear it has a very high price tag
just do a search for this one.....
LumenAQUA LED Lamp with adjustable color temp!

scsinet

Originally Posted by zero26
http:///forum/post/3018104
I was looking at the current usa's LED's on the marine depot website. There are also a couple different manufacter's
I think you are talking about those powerbrite fixtures (or something like that).
I really have a thing with the vendors and manufacturers on those lights because they cause a lot of confusion. Those lights are not intended as main lights, they are intended as supplemental lights or moonlights.
An easy way to look at it... unless you are talking about lighting a pico tank, an LED system should cost over $1000. If it's any less, it is not likely powerful enough to use as a main lighting system.