Leigh--Crayon smell

goldrush

I had to search back to see who it was that had this problem,I had forgotten. Don't know if you figured it out yet but something happened today that made me think of you. I'm in the automobile business and we had a customer who smelled crayons in their car.My Techs couldn't figure it out and we had someone from the manufacturer come out.He determined that the smell came from the carpet padding.It had gotten wet from a clogged A/C drain hose.There is a chemical in the padding that causes a mold that has a distinct "crayon" smell.Sometimes it takes a while,but we do get the answers sooner or later.Unfortunately,there is no cure.We replaced the padding(and carpeting) and the smell is gone.

clarkiiboi

So, actually there is a cure. Not an easy one though---replacing carpet and padding under the tank will be a task. I remember that post, so I'm bumping it to get the attention of leigh. At least then, it can be narrowed down to a possible problem. Also, thanks for the info---may be useful in the future, who knew......

Just search her name in the member's directory and send her a PM or email. She may never see this if she doesn't visit often enough.

goldrush

Thanks,I tried that first. No e-mail,no website,no IM. Oh well,if you see her,let her know about this thread,I tried.

leigh

hey, sorry march madness had me away from this for a while. but how's this to add to the mystery...the tank stand is made of wood and is sitting on a hard wood floor. it's previous location was on carpet and i've smelled it both places. odd eh? thanks for thinking of me though :) i've succumbed to appreciation for crayon smell :rolleyes:

goldrush

LOL-Wow, maybe we replaced the padding for nothing. The smell did go away though. Good luck,it could smell worse than crayons,I guess.

leigh

I'm sure you didn't replace the padding for nothing. I wonder if the padding somewhat helps trap smell--you know, the way a leather jacket absorbs smokey bar smell. I wonder if the carpet pad more trapped an odor that came from some other, since gone cause. You know what I'm saying?
Again, thanks for thinking of me :)
-leigh