Lemonpeel Angel

kilhullen

I am going through the different fish and making a list of individuals I would like to have in my 100 or 150 gallon reef tank. I see on this site that the Lemonpeel is listed as reef safe. Is that what the actual experience is of people who have this species?
Your input is appreciated.

sjimmyh

IME, all dwarf angelfish are typically reef safe.
I have heard and experienced of them eating feather dusters fairly commonly.
I have heard and experienced them nipping at things you wouldn't want them to, like clams and corals.
I have heard and experienced them being very docile and benign, doing nothing that you wouldn't want them to.
Its a gamble, in the end. You may have issues, and you may have the perfect fish. You just have to weigh the gamble. Is this fish THAT important to you. I am in the exact same issue. My wife really wants this species (lemonpeel) in my latest reef tank. (she generally gets her way) All you can do is take the gamble and introduce them. Observe them and if you aren't lucky you could decide you need to break down the tank to get the little sucker out.
Talk to the store you purchase from. If its a local fish store, they may agree to swap it out with another of the same species if you return it unharmed and in good health. I used to do this when I ran the fish dept of a LPS.

kilhullen

Originally Posted by SJimmyH
IME, all dwarf angelfish are typically reef safe.
I have heard and experienced of them eating feather dusters fairly commonly.
I have heard and experienced them nipping at things you wouldn't want them to, like clams and corals.
I have heard and experienced them being very docile and benign, doing nothing that you wouldn't want them to.
Its a gamble, in the end. You may have issues, and you may have the perfect fish. You just have to weigh the gamble. Is this fish THAT important to you. I am in the exact same issue. My wife really wants this species (lemonpeel) in my latest reef tank. (she generally gets her way) All you can do is take the gamble and introduce them. Observe them and if you aren't lucky you could decide you need to break down the tank to get the little sucker out.
Talk to the store you purchase from. If its a local fish store, they may agree to swap it out with another of the same species if you return it unharmed and in good health. I used to do this when I ran the fish dept of a LPS.
I would be getting it from SWF, because my lfs doesn't carry much in the way of variety.

anonome

Of al the dwarf angels, the lemonpeel is one of the least likely to adapt to a reef set-up. They especially like to harrass the polyp type of coral and clams. I had a lemonpeel in my 46g and when I put it in my 125g reef it went crazy on the "all you can eat buffet" . I traded mine in for an absolutely beautiful Marshal Island Coral Beauty. Well worth the wait......4 months. All of the coral beauties I see have way too much purple and blend into the aquascape, mine is very vivid. The picture doesn't do it any justice. I would try to get a coral beauty or a flame. These are very well known for not picking on corals. But it depends on what you want to put into the tank.
Here is my coral beauty.

kilhullen

Originally Posted by Anonome
Of al the dwarf angels, the lemonpeel is one of the least likely to adapt to a reef set-up. They especially like to harrass the polyp type of coral and clams. I had a lemonpeel in my 46g and when I put it in my 125g reef it went crazy on the "all you can eat buffet" . I traded mine in for an absolutely beautiful Marshal Island Coral Beauty. Well worth the wait......4 months. All of the coral beauties I see have way too much purple and blend into the aquascape, mine is very vivid. The picture doesn't do it any justice. I would try to get a coral beauty or a flame. These are very well known for not picking on corals. But it depends on what you want to put into the tank.
Here is my coral beauty.
See, this is the problem I have. Trying to figure out what is reef safe and what is not. I love the coral beauty, but this website says they are reef safe, another says they are not. The books also vary. Same with the lemonpeel angel.
Thank you for the input. I want a coral beauty too, but I am struggling with what is safe and what is not. I will certainly take your comments into consideration.

anonome

Originally Posted by TriGa22
Wow that dwarf is awsome!
Exactly my opinion
, most coral beauties are so washed out, have way too much purple. The Marshal Island Coral Beauty is the way to go, they seem to have a lot of yellow and orange, where as the the normal ones are deluted.

fisherkid91

How about a pigmy angel? My lfs got a few in and I am interested in getting one where do they rank as far as reef safeness?

anonome

Originally Posted by fisherkid91
How about a pigmy angel? My lfs got a few in and I am interested in getting one where do they rank as far as reef safeness?
They seem to be very reef safe.