Lemonpeel in Hypo Dying

bwild

Hello,
I have a Lemonpeel Angel (5 inches) that has been in Hypo for 4 weeks in a 75 gallon QT. He has not had any issues or sign of disease while in hypo. He was normal this morning when I got home he was swimming in a circle not in contol of himself. There are 2 other fish in hypo (tusk and tang both smaller than the lemonpeel)without any effects. My water is Nitrate - 0 Nitrite- 0 Ammonia -0 Ph 8.5 Alk is normal. I just starting putting Zoe in the food yesterday. I would like to fiqure out what happened to prevent the other fish from similar issues. I never saw any aggression and was never shy or hiding. I do have a Rio 2100 in there for circulation. Do you think it could be the PH or possibly an injury.
Thanks for your assistance!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I agree that the pH is kinda high, especially while in hypo. Have you been dosing buffers directly into the QT?

bwild

He died last night. They are in Qt because they are new fish before going to DT. I dosed with Kents to raise PH as it was low due to hypo. I dosed per directions but diluted into 15 gallons that I used to do a water change after mixing for 24 hours. The product said it would not raise beyond 8.3 but my test appears higher.
Could it have been swim bladder disease. He showed no other symtoms than disoriented swimming in a circle and in a loop. Or, could it have been that he has been in 1.009 for 4 weeks. It all happened within a few hours and I dosed the buffer the previous day. This is the first fish I have lost during hypo. This is also the first time I used a buffer. I am inclined to think that either the PH change/buffer is the cause. It is very dissapointing because he was a great looking fish. I would like to fiqure it out though the other fish appear to be fine. Thanks for your replies!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What was the pH before you dosed? Basically, when raising pH, it needs to be rather gradually. Its better to have a lower pH then to raise too quickly.
Best way to do hypo is to condition the freshwater used for hypo with the buffers before adding the fresh water. Do this at least for 24 hours before using the water.

bwild

How low is still considered safe in hypo. When you say freshwater do you mean before mixing with salt? Are angels more sensitive to PH than tangs or just luck of the draw in this case?
Thank you Beth!

sepulatian

Originally Posted by bwild
http:///forum/post/2854865
How low is still considered safe in hypo. When you say freshwater do you mean before mixing with salt? Are angels more sensitive to PH than tangs or just luck of the draw in this case?
Thank you Beth!
The PH can be as low as 7.8 in hypo. Mix the buffer with the fresh water that you add to lower the salinity. PH is measured logarithmic. Each point is ten times more or less than the point before. A PH of 8.0 is ten times more acidic than a PH of 8.1. A PH of 8.2 is 100 times more alkaline than a PH of 8.0. Get it? There is a HUGE difference between points. If it is changed quickly then it could be detrimental to the health of the fish.

rotarymagic

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2855333
The PH can be as low as 7.8 in hypo. Mix the buffer with the fresh water that you add to lower the salinity. PH is measured logarithmic. Each point is ten times more or less than the point before. A PH of 8.0 is ten times more acidic than a PH of 8.1. A PH of 8.2 is 100
times more alkaline than a PH of 8.0. Get it? There is a HUGE difference between points. If it is changed quickly then it could be detrimental to the health of the fish.
fixed

bwild

In this case I was including it in a water change. The salinity had been lowered to 1.009a few weeks ago. That is the reason for the question on freshwater. I did not realize that the PH number for each increment was that drastic. I have done hypo successfully on all of my fish. My mistake was to interfere at all since there were no problems in the tank but just felt I needed to raise the PH after re reading the hypo directions. Hopefully I did not damage the other fish.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by bwild
http:///forum/post/2857637
In this case I was including it in a water change. The salinity had been lowered to 1.009a few weeks ago. That is the reason for the question on freshwater. I did not realize that the PH number for each increment was that drastic. I have done hypo successfully on all of my fish. My mistake was to interfere at all since there were no problems in the tank but just felt I needed to raise the PH after re reading the hypo directions. Hopefully I did not damage the other fish.
Always test the water before and after adding a buffer. PH buffers are not always needed during hypo. I have never had to use one. If the tank is cycled and mature then buffers are not needed. If the PH of the FW is low then buffers are needed, but always in small amounts, and always mix them into the new FW before adding it to the tank. Test again awhile after the water is in the tank. How are the other fish doing?