leopard wrasse

xtreme_1.8

Has anyone ever heard of the leopard wrasse or have one in their tank, my lfs has one for $60 it is about 2 inches and the lfs told me that they have a low survival rate within the first couple of days being introduced to a new system but i buy my water from them so everything is exactly the same, they also told me that they have dewormed the fish. any suggestion.

fishfood

Is your tank well established with lots of Live rock and Sand and been set up for while? If not I would not attempt one. They need sand in the tank because that is where they sleep, or dive into when scared/threatened, etc. Many times it is hard to get them to eat in our tanks. They will pick on the pods on your rocks. That is why you need a bit of rock for the pods to reproduce, unless you have a fuge that feeds the tank as well.
I recently picked up a black leopard wrasse. I haven't been able to get him to eat yet but he has been picking at the pods all day every day. I have a 135 with tons of rocks and the tank has been up for about 2 yrs. I'm kind of scared that he may eat me out of pods. My lfs ordered about 10 leopards twice in the last 3 months.. Both times they only had about 3 survive shipping.
I think if you have the other requirements the worst part is to get one that survives all the shipping.

torno

Wow, I must have been super lucky. I ordered a blue star leopard wrasse on the internet, it arrived fine, and has been eating frozen mysis since a few days after I got it. Perhaps these kinds of fish, like the copperband butterfly, are a hit or miss. Mine is small and in my 30 gallon with a cardinal fish. He's active during the day, but goes to "bed" in the evening. Good luck!