Les Paul has died

pontius

an American icon. one of the alltime greats and the man who basically invented the electric guitar.

nw2salt08

No kidding. The contributions this man has left to music is worth so much more than the majority of people in the business. He will be missed...

reefraff

He led a heck of a life. I am sure a lot of the joy went out of it a few years ago when he became unable to play anymore.
The band in heaven just got a hell of a lot better.

pontius

I have the honor of owning a Gibson Les Paul Standard (and am getting the money together for a second one). sometimes I look at his name on the headstock and think that I will NEVER be half as good a player as he was.
he also invented multi-tracking (which is now used in virtually every music recording) and "looping". I also own one of these loopers and it was a great invention too.
If you saw or ever get a chance to see PBS' "American Masters" feature on Paul, you need to watch it. the genius of this man is almost incomprehensible. I really am not a fan of jazz type music, but watching somebody like him play is awe inspiring. and he seemed like a genuinely good guy. still playing 2 gigs a week at the age of 94.
I sure would like to be the one to inherit his guitar collection. they showed some of it on the PBS shows and it got to be in the millions of dollars itself. he had pre-Les Paul Les Paul prototype and basically prototypes of the first electric gutiars. amazing stuff.

pontius

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/3110460
He led a heck of a life. I am sure a lot of the joy went out of it a few years ago when he became unable to play anymore.
The band in heaven just got a hell of a lot better.
hmm? he was playing 2 shows a week in NYC as recently as last year.

kjr_trig

Damn, just saw that. What a contribution to music he made though...My brother will be in mourning, he has 3 beautiful Les Pauls.

S

surfinusa

Hearing of his death was a big shock to me, you would think someone like that would be indestructible. One amazing guitar player for sure. I am proud to own a Gibson Les Paul studio blackout. He truly invented the perfect guitar.