lessons learned from hurricanes

cindyski

> > >Subject: lesson learned from hurricanes
Water is comfort food. But 3-day-old Cheetos are too.
Air conditioning: Best Invention Ever.
Candlelight is better than Botox- it takes years off
your appearance.
Gasoline is a value at any price.
The need for your dog to go out and take care of
business is proportional to the severity of the storm.
We shouldn't complain about all the "useless" tools in
the garage - we actually Do need a generator.
You cant spell "PRICELESS" with out I-C-E.
Downed power lines make an excellent security system.
Cell Phones: Breaking up isn't hard to do.
The lifeblood of any disaster recovery is coffee.
The movie theater can be a most pleasant place,even if
the feature is Alien vs Predator.
Shadow animals on the wall - STILL FUN!
It's your God-given right to sit on your back porch
and eat Chinese takeout by candlelight in your
underwear.
No matter how hard the wind blows, roadside campaign
signs will survive.
You can use your washing machine as a cooler.
SUVs are the best makeshift tents on the market.
Chain saw-wielding men are nothing to be afraid of.
You should never admit to having power at your house
in the presence of co-workers or neighbors who don't.
There's a plus side to having nothing in the
refrigerator.
Somebody's got it WORSE.
Somebody's got it BETTER. Obviously, they're getting
preferential treatment.
Radio can be the best way to watch television.
AA and D are the only alphabet we need.
The four-way stop is still an ingenious reflection on
civility.
Water from the shower is much colder than water from
the kitchen sink - and tastes just as bad.
Getting through the day should be an Olympic event.
Even after all these years, it can be nice to spend
time with Col.Mustard in the ballroom with the lead
pipe.
An oak tree on the ground looks four times as big as
one standing up.
When house hunting, look for closets with lots of
legroom.

fishtanker

Originally posted by CindySki
> > >Subject: lesson learned from hurricanes
Even after all these years, it can be nice to spend
time with Col.Mustard in the ballroom with the lead
pipe.

Gotta love CLUE!!

lovethesea

Did you endure all of that? I did have to laught at some of them though. Especially the candle. SO sorry. :nope: Hopefully this
"season" is d-o-n-e !! We were chased out by Charley on the 13th and its been down hill for you guys ever since.

cindyski

yea everyone, we did well, lost power 12 hrs the first one, 2 days THEN phone for 2 days the 2nd one and 12 hrs power the 3rd one.
we were fortunate compared to many others, i didnt mean to make light of it in anyway, but the 2 day power out really did give us some family time with old games, we need to remember to do these things with our kids and families. we had a house full, had people evacuate up to us, and we made the best of it. some of the things on the list are funny, and some sould be taken literally!
the chineese food was funny, you were lucky if you could find ANYTHING OPEN, but most likely the chineese takeout was available :D
hope you all stayed safe and dry, hopefully its all over now

N

newreefers

I HAVE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After 6 days without power I am sooooooo happy. as well as are my fish! Thank god we have a generator.
I can relate to sitting on the porch in your underware!! However, no take out available, it is good to know you can live on chips and dip for 6 days and survive. The underware thing I get, I only got caught by the mailman, the city guy here to pump out my grinder, and the fence repair guy. Not bad considering.
I have some things to add to the list.
Whenever possible marry someone who works for FEMA, it will speed up the process.
Note to do laundry prior to hurricane, sitting on the porch in your underware is better when you actually have some clean ones.
Prior to hurrican arrival, stock up on liquor, (the liquor ban lasts a while) and it pretty much can get you through the days, the heat isn't so bad when you are comfortably numb.
Have asprin on hand for above mentioned reasons.
Stock up on ear plugs. Listening to a screaming generator for 6 days will drive you to drink - see above two items.
Just a few more tips from a survivor of Charley, Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne. (I have a house on both the East and West coast of Florida)
PS - does anyone know anything about FEMA reimbursing the cost of a generator?? I of course got raped on the price and had to pay $750 for a little old 4000w.

mr. tuna

My power was out for a day, and i ran my 6500 watt generator which i got for $600 at Home Depot. I ran the tank ( not only the pump... Everything), and a T.V. The power went out at like.. 4 in the morning, and at about 7, we made coffe by connectiong the kettle to the generator.
Never Regret that i bought it.... Never :D

lovethesea

May I please ask what the liquor ban is all about? :rolleyes:
I mean really....do they think that people are going to rush out and clean out the liquor stores?

cindyski

Originally posted by newreefers
I have some things to add to the list.
Note to do laundry prior to hurricane, sitting on the porch in your underware is better when you actually have some clean ones.
Prior to hurrican arrival, stock up on liquor, (the liquor ban lasts a while) and it pretty much can get you through the days, the heat isn't so bad when you are comfortably numb.
Have asprin on hand for above mentioned reasons.
Stock up on ear plugs. Listening to a screaming generator for 6 days will drive you to drink - see above two items.

we did the first 3 :D
the ear plug idea is EXCELLENT!
glad you have finally have power and i hope you didnt have any damages.

cindyski

Originally posted by lovethesea
May I please ask what the liquor ban is all about? :rolleyes:
I mean really....do they think that people are going to rush out and clean out the liquor stores?

i'm not 100% sure, but i think they just dont want people driving around in the hurricane, and also if they run out, driving around to get more. and thats another reason i think they enforced a curfew

N

newreefers

I actually spoke with FEMA today, to get reimbursed your area has to have been declared a disaster area. If you want to call you can call 1-800-621-FEMA . I am registered for Frances and Jeanne, on a sadder note, my flame angel died today, I guess the stress was too much. She looked perfectly fine and had no signs of trauma or anything, I only had her 3 years, so I don't it was old age.