Lessons learned on my DIY hood

fat_ed

Just finished building and installing my first DIY hood w/ 250 W MH/PC retro kit from CSL. I had to basically buy everything from scratch, including tools, paint, etc., so the total cost ran me a little over $500 (all wood and most tools were bought in Manhattan), including the retro kit. Here are ten lessons that I learned:
1) Klenk's 2 part epoxy paint (used to stain the inside of the hood) is just a horrible product. It takes an hour and a half to settle after you mix it. It smells like poison (they recommend you remove your contact lenses when using it). It doesn't go on smoothly, and it destroys all paint brushes it contacts. There's gotta be a better way.
2) McKloskey's marine spar varnish, on the other hand, was a joy to use. Went on easily, cleaned up easily, and looks fantastic.
3) If you have the hardware/lumber store cut the wood for you, measure all cuts before you leave the store. I asked my store to make a separate rip cut for a front panel door, and the guy neglected to do so. I didn't notice at the time, and wound up making the rip cut myself with a handheld miter saw. Ouch.
4) Don't neglect to install a wire clamp to hold the various light and fan wires. Looks good, and does its job well.
5) Gorilla Brand waterproof carpenter's glue -- another good thing. You can use less screws if use this stuff.
6) Wait until the varnish is 100% dry before allowing it to rest against newspaper, etc. This was the worst mistake I made -- and I paid for it dearly, spending over an hour scraping flecks of newspaper out of the finish.
7) When painting, staining etc., work w/ latex gloves on. The gloves were the best spent $1 in a long time.
8) If having problems making flush joints, screw in all screws in the piece as far as possible (don't kill yourself) then remove one at a time and redrill each hole with a guide bit -- take care not to drill through the outside surface. You'll be amazed at the difference. Countertapping the pilot holes also helps.
9) I used poplar wood and was very happy with it. Much easier to work with than plywood.
10) In all, with a little patience, this proved to be a relatively easy and rewarding job. I have little to no carpentry experience, but I was able to build a hood that looks quite professional and has all the features that I desired. I grabbed a handful of DIY plans off the net, and incorporated what seemed like the best ideas of each. Good luck to those of you that attempt this project.
Next up, a DIY calcium reactor, as Fat Ed tries his hand at plumbing.

johnnysalt

Fat Ed,
Do you have "during" and "after" pics of your hood project? Email me with some info on your refugium if you can....flow rate, dimensions, type of algae, depth of sandbed, etc, pics if you have 'em! Thanks! :cool:

fat_ed

Johnnysalt:
Sorry -- don't own a digital camera, so I can't e-mail any pictures. Let me see if I can describe the process:
1) Measure the trim on the outside of your tank. For the front pieces, add 1 3/4" to account for the 3/4" width of each side piece and a 1/4" for wood swelling, errors in measurement, etc.
2) Side pieces are length of the side trim plus 1/4" for wood swelling, errors in measurement, etc.
3) The front piece is cut four inches from the top and hinged to make a front door. A magnetic plate keeps it closed.
4) The back piece is a 1 x 8 as opposed to 1 x 12's for the sides and front to allow for the various hang on apparatus and ventilation. I have the tank against a wall, so the light streaming out doesn't bother me. If the back of the tank were facing the room, I would have used a 1 x 12 and cut slots for the hang on equipment.
5) The top is a 1 x 12 of the same length as the front and back pieces, which allows tow slots for further ventilation. Some light escapes through the slots -- but so far it doesn't bother me.
6) I screwed 1 x 2 strips of plywood to the inside of both side pieces set up 1 1/2" from the bottom of the hood. This is all that actually rests on the tank and supports the hood, so I took special care to glue these in solidly.
7) I used two 8" long scraps of 1 x2 plywood for spacers to hold the light assembly.
8) I painted the inside with white epoxy, and stained and varnished the outside as mentioned previously. I also put two coats of clear polyurethane on the inside.
9) I installed a wire clamp on the top right hand corner of one side piece to hold the wires.
10) I used a jig saw to cut a circle on one side piece and installed a fan and fan guard. The fan is on the inside of the hood and blows in.
As far as the refugium goes, I have a 24" CPR refugium. I opened the valve on the powerhead almost all the way, and I estimate the flow rate at no more than 2x per hour. I have 3-4" of Miracle Mud substrate, some small pieces of live rock, 5 types of caulerpa, and a fauna and detrivore kit.
Hope this helps.