Let Me Have It Frag Tank Users.

aztec reef

Originally Posted by grubsnaek
i mean what ever. ill do the cycle thing but just thought if you can build a frag shelf out of egg crate and have frags in an established tank. why the hell cant you use established water and just frag. dont make sense.
it was already mentioned by Viper, bacteria lives in solid surfaces.

grubsnaek

need to cycle for the live sand to get the bacteria and the live rock too. i guess thats what was meant. how much sand. is a 2"sand bed alright. how much sand and live rock.
i havent seen this method on frag tanks pushed this hard. it seems that the ones i seen where either BB or shallow sand bed with egg crate. but i like the idea of an actual tank set up and just frags on the live rock.

viper_930

Cured LR and LS from an established system has the bacteria you want. The water does not carry a significant amount.
If you're going fishless and will not be feeding the corals (other than lighting) you can just skip the sand bed and cover the bottom with LR rubble with the egg crate on top. Without the sand bed you should be doing more water changes than usual though. A CPR bakpak would be a nice skimmer on there.

grubsnaek

what about the lights. any other filter no right. forget about what powerheads to use. what should my target turnover rate be for softies and LPS. just these few answers and i think im about ready.

viper_930

If it were me I'd go with a two bulb VHO or T5 setup and construct the egg crate rack to raise the frags up within 6" of the light.
For flow 20-30x turnover would be great. One or two maxijets would do the trick.

aztec reef

i lied how much sand and live rock

as much as you will like, put the sand, put the live rock,put the crate on top

grubsnaek

im going to wait alittle while to get the skimmer, how does a hang on refugium sound. or is this to much. i want a small one so i can have some sort of sump action. i know its not a sump. if i go with this are the VHO lights bright enough to help cheato grow or should i go with a lite on it.

aztec reef

im going to wait alittle while to get the skimmer, how does a hang on refugium sound. or is this to much. i want a small one so i can have some sort of sump action. i know its not a sump. if i go with this are the VHO lights bright enough to help cheato grow or should i go with a lite on it.
well it's better than nothing, you will still need a light for the cheato to keep it active it doesn't matter what light.any light, and if you want you can only run this lame lights on the cheato when ever the VHO's go off.

aztec reef

well whatever is the closest to your Display Tank. if you tank has t5's then get t'5's. if your DT has MH then you can use t5's but MH would be even better.

grubsnaek

i have VHO on my tank so i know what i should get thanx.
just not sure if i should go with two or three bulbs. my guess what ever wattage is closer to the DT.