let me know let me know quick quick

barchtruong

Hi all,
I am currently running a 55g mixed reef/fish tank. Nov 17 is going to be its 2nd yr. I've loss a few corals, a few fishes cuz they jumped out of the tank and killed themselves. A few anemones, a few crabs and snails.
Anyway, yeah. So, there's a guy wanting to sell his 160g tank (a monster volumn of water) with stand and some filter for $600. I am so tempted to buy this tank, but I am not sure if I should go for 160g saltwater. Do you think it's realistic or am I just being ridiculous? I think it would cost a fortune to run an 160g saltwater tank. Salt is expensive, filtered water is expensive, electricity is expensive, LR is expensive, Fishes are expensive.......urgh.....but I really want to have a tank of lots of pretty fishes. let me know what you think quick quick cuz I told the guy that I am going to drive 70miles up north to check out the tank and buy it possibly.
Thank you.....

t316

Go BIG, or Go Bust......
Seriously, I like big tanks, but if costs is going to be an issue, then think hard about it. Yes, it will cost a little more in salt, electricity, etc., but your biggest cost will be in the initial investment (equipment). I don't know if you are getting a deal, or not. It depends on what equipment he is throwing in there with the offer, and if this equipment works. One advantage to bigger tanks however, is more room for error. The smaller the tank, the more careful you have to be with water params, etc.
Good luck on your decision, and please post pics if/when you get it....

oceanlover

You've really got two issues here:
1. Do you want to invest the time and money into caring for a 160 gallon tank?
If you really love having a salt water aquarium and don't mind spending both time and money to take care of it properly, you should consider going for it. However, if you barely have time and money for your smaller tank, then I'd wait before getting another tank.
2. Is this a fair price for the bigger tank?
Well, you need to know exactly what it is you are buying. Is it glass or acrylic? Is it scratched or had ick in it? Did the previous owner use copper in it? How old is it? What kind of lighting does it have and is that the light you want for your type of tank? What are the filtration and pumps like? Is there a sump, bio-balls, refugium, etc. ? Do you like the cabinetry, is it in good shape, and does it fit the style of yor home? Then you can compare prices for listings on Craig's List and this website to see if it appears to be reasonable or not.
This is not the only tank that will ever be for sale. As the economy has slowed down, there are lots of nice aquariums for sale. Take your time and think it out. Do you want a second aquarium? If yes, what specifically do you want? What does your gut instinct tell you? Taking time to think things through in this hobby is a real money saver.

mlr492

The fact that your saying I really want all the pretty fishes makes me feel like your eyes are bigger than your planning and wallet. I would sit down and plan out how much it's going to cost, and how well you can actually handle it once it is set up. Alot of people go bigger, can't take care of it, and it sits and nothing happens with it. I would plan first, then decide, is it right for you.

trouble93

I can't speak for everyone on here but I know there are a few that will agree when I say this...I love this hobby so much if I could fit a 4,000gal tank in my house I would. You have to weigh the pro & cons...Not only can you afford the setup more importent can you afford the up keep. Me myself as soon as I got my 55 where I wanted it the next week I started on a 125gal. and have plans to go to a 180 after that. I say go for it but that's me!!!!

mlr492

Don't get me wrong, if you can afford it by all means, do it. Just think carefully and plan. This will not be the last good deal on earth

barchtruong

ok, so there are 2 groups of answers here.
and I do really like everyone opinions.
my gut instinct is telling me...uhhh trouble...trouble if I get it.
then my bad habit is that I hate to pass up a deal that's available.
But I would agree with the hold off idea because I do have so much going on with my life right now, and I and still working on my 55g to get in in a good shape after a long year of neglecting it for my 9 board exams. It's still under a recovery stage, got some hair algae and cian algae to work on. And on top of that, I haven't seen that giant tank. I would have to drive 70miles to see it. The tank is not that new that what I heard. The tank was for fresh water. There is no light, but I have a powerful light fixture for my 55g right now (560w with 2-130w MH each). So, that would do for the light. But.....I weighted in and I am going to go with group A, cancel the plan. BUT...I will keep an eye out for the next 160g deal once I get myself settled a lil bit, maybe in the next few months or so.
Anyway, thank you everybody for all your great thoughts. I love every single thought that you all put in.
Have a good day

wow, I just saved $1500, didn't I....? but not for long thou

robdog696

First, the age of the tank and appearance of scratches are HUGE things to consider when figuring the value of this tank. If the tank is less than a year old, and is free of rust and visible scratches then I would say this is a monster of a good deal.
Second, as far as cost, when upgrading from a 58 to a 150 I saw a noticeable increase in my electric bill by about $10-$50/mo. However, water isn't an issue, as I buy it from my LFS for a very reasonable price. The biggest cost with a tank like this is going to be setting it up. Liverock is going to be expensive, but base rock is a cheap alternative. If the pumps and skimmer come with the tank then that will save you a lot of cash.
Third, stocking the tank will probably be an addiction and a financial drain for a short time. I know it was for me. But once you get it at least mildly aesthetically pleasing to the eye you will be able to use a bit more self-restraint and patience in finding just the right livestock for your tank.
Finally, I agree with posters above 100%! The biggest issue with a large tank is time and work. Remember that every hobby burns out eventually. When having a saltwater tank is no longer the coolest thing in your life (say maybe your new motorcycle is) will you still have the motivation to put forth the time and effort to keep your livestock healthy and happy? That's what it's all about after all. A love for all of God's beautiful living creations!

t316

Originally Posted by barchtruong
http:///forum/post/2795754
ok, so there are 2 groups of answers here.
and I do really like everyone opinions.
my gut instinct is telling me...uhhh trouble...trouble if I get it.
then my bad habit is that I hate to pass up a deal that's available.
But I would agree with the hold off idea because I do have so much going on with my life right now, and I and still working on my 55g to get in in a good shape after a long year of neglecting it for my 9 board exams. It's still under a recovery stage, got some hair algae and cian algae to work on. And on top of that, I haven't seen that giant tank. I would have to drive 70miles to see it. The tank is not that new that what I heard. The tank was for fresh water. There is no light, but I have a powerful light fixture for my 55g right now (560w with 2-130w MH each). So, that would do for the light. But.....I weighted in and I am going to go with group A, cancel the plan. BUT...I will keep an eye out for the next 160g deal once I get myself settled a lil bit, maybe in the next few months or so.
Anyway, thank you everybody for all your great thoughts. I love every single thought that you all put in.
Have a good day

wow, I just saved $1500, didn't I....? but not for long thou
Based on this information....I think you are making a good decision. Work on your 55 gal, fill it to the max with corals/equipment/livestock. It's then that you will see the true costs and/or the need to upgrade. Or, you will find that you do not have the time to devote to this size tank, and possible "downsize"....oh, I hate that word....