Let Us Bow Our Heads

indyws6

Greetings

May I have a moment of silence...
I came home from work yesterday to the situation shown in the photo (I know, the picture could be better...). It may be hard to see, but my Sally Lightfoot crab was clinging to the bottom of some live rock with a few legs while clutching the lifeless body of one of my Twin Spot Goby's in the others. Alternately, she was repositioning the fish in her grasp while picking off chunks of flesh to dine on.
My tank only recently cycled. The crab has been in there for just over 5 weeks (added as part of a clean-up crew) and the Goby, one of a "mated pair", was added just under 3 weeks ago. Although they have both looked healthy and active, I noticed that one of the Goby's wasn't as "out front" about a day prior to this. I am tempted to give Sally the benefit of the doubt and assume that the Goby died of undetermined causes and she was just doing her part in nature and cleaning-up the mess.
Either way, it's sad - I really liked watching the pair of Goby's hang-out together.

petjunkie

Twin spot gobies have a reputation for being difficult to keep as they are picky eaters, pods mostly. Two in a tank just increased the chances of one not making it. This is a fish better suited to a well established reef tank, not a new setup really. Do you see them eating prepared foods well? Either way I hope you removed the body so as not to throw your tank into another cycle.

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by indyws6
Greetings

May I have a moment of silence...
I came home from work yesterday to the situation shown in the photo (I know, the picture could be better...). It may be hard to see, but my Sally Lightfoot crab was clinging to the bottom of some live rock with a few legs while clutching the lifeless body of one of my Twin Spot Goby's in the others. Alternately, she was repositioning the fish in her grasp while picking off chunks of flesh to dine on.
My tank only recently cycled. The crab has been in there for just over 5 weeks (added as part of a clean-up crew) and the Goby, one of a "mated pair", was added just under 3 weeks ago. Although they have both looked healthy and active, I noticed that one of the Goby's wasn't as "out front" about a day prior to this. I am tempted to give Sally the benefit of the doubt and assume that the Goby died of undetermined causes and she was just doing her part in nature and cleaning-up the mess.
Either way, it's sad - I really liked watching the pair of Goby's hang-out together.

I really doubt it was the sally and it was just "cleaning up" But always keep in mind that they ARE crabs and oportunistic ambush predators AND HAVE read of some violent larger SALLYS,, but their claws are SOO small.. I just cant see that.

grabbitt

Well, you can always put things into perspective... I lost a Yellow Tang AND a volitan lionfish to my purple lobster.
Fool me once, shame on you,
Fool me twice, I boil your a$$...

ophiura

I would never ever keep a sally lightfoot crab in my tank. I don't trust them at all...nor do I trust emeralds (though there are still some in there). Some WILL eat corals and I suspect anything else they can get their claws on.

indyws6

AZFISHGAL, JENNYTHEBUGG, GRABBITT- Thanks for the replies and sympathy...
MIAHEATLVR - Thanks for the comments. I am giving Sally the benefit of the doubt. Although I may never know for certain, I think the fish was already dead and she was just doing her job. She is relatively small, but I definitely have my eye on her. Problem is, if I would ever need to catch her, short of tearing the tank apart, it might be an impossible task...
PETJUNKIE - Although the tank is new and only recently cycled, it is a 90 gallon and I stocked it with 130+ lbs of cured live rock and 160 lbs (4+ inches) of live sand. There appears to be a healthy supply of pods and other sand critters, although I don't know how to be certain that it is enough. What's discouraging, especially to new hobbysits, is the conflicting information available. I thought that I had done my homework before purchasing the fish, but found information after the fact that indicated they might be difficult to maintain in a home aquarium like mine. I won't mention the names, but the sites I used for research are considered reputable, but I have no one to blame but myself - I guess I need to do a better job of understanding the care & feeding requirements.
OPHIURA - I also have 2 Emerald Crabs in my tank! So far, I haven't noticed them doing anything detrimental, but I also have very few corals at this point (stocking to begin soon
). Similar to the response to PETJUNKIE, the conflicting information on "reef-safe" invertebrates can be frustrating. The crabs were added as part of a clean-up crew based on recommendations from several respectable web sites and reference books. I do, however, appreciate your comments - I'm always willing to learn, and many times, the personal experience of others is a better reference. Are my 2 Serpent Stars also a no-no

rocksalt

Question: Do you put new additions in a sick tank prior to introducing them to the new environment? I have a separate salt water system with water of identical conditions to my main tank. I let new fish in there for at least two weeks before adding them to my 90 Gal reef. Personally I feel it bettered the odds of catching a sick fish before spreading potential harmful parasites to my main tank.
Crabs: I had an emerald crab (past tense). It kept eating my turbo sails. He's gone now. However it never bothered my other fish.

indyws6

ROCKSALT - To answer your question, no; I currently do not have a quarrantine tank, although I do realize the potential benefits. Getting to this point has been a massive undertaking in terms of time and money, so establishing another tank will need to be a future project. I hope to eventually do this, possibly in the form of a Nano Reef, which could double as a QT (assuming that I didn't jeopardize the livestock contained within). Also, placing the fish directly into my display tank didn't seem too unreasonable at this point considering that I only have live rock, live sand, invertebrates (in the form of a clean-up crew), a small number of "starter" corals and a single Behn's Damsel (which, I believe, would survive anything short of flattening by a steam rolller
)
Based on some after-the-fact information, the Twin Spot Goby in question appears to need a large tank with a lot of sand and a thriving pod population, which would be difficult to do in a QT setting. But, as you mentioned, that approach would help alleviate potential issues with parasites and illnesses.
Thanks for the information...

bizkitpug

I had an emerald and a sally lightfoot. The emerald decided he was hungry and ate the other. He is kind of a brat. Keeps to himself mostly. Last night he was picking a fight with my purple lobster. Lobster is 5 times the size but emerald does not care. Someday he is gonna pick on the wrong critter.

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by bizkitpug
I had an emerald and a sally lightfoot. The emerald decided he was hungry and ate the other. He is kind of a brat. Keeps to himself mostly. Last night he was picking a fight with my purple lobster. Lobster is 5 times the size but emerald does not care. Someday he is gonna pick on the wrong critter.
Careful those purples are extreemely agressive.

indyws6

BIZKITPUG - Greetings

If it wasn't like watching the $20 bill in one hand eating the $20 bill in your other hand, it would be interesting to see nature take its course as the tank critters shuffle for domination. My Sally Crab, at least from what I have observed, appears to be much faster and more nimble than the Emerald Crabs. I wouldn't have guessed that an Emerald Crab could catch and munch on a Sally Lightfoot...
Take Care!

indyws6

BIZKITPUG - Are purple lobsters considered to be "reef safe"? What kind of care & feeding requirements do they have? It sounds like an interesting specimen...

ophiura

It is important to understand what is meant by the term "reef safe" and that is that the majority of the time, most individuals will not pose a threat to corals.
However, ALL CRABS in particular are opportunistic and given the chance for a meal, they may eat something you do not want them too. Smaller emeralds, IMO, are not so much of an issue. But larger one's? I certainly have seen problems with them and corals. Thankfully, it appears to have just died....I hope my problem is solved, and my toadstool leather will just have some holes and such for now.

indyws6

OPHIURA - Greetings

Point taken - "Reef Safe" isn't necessarily a guarantee but, rather, an indication that a certain species doesn't usually exhibit behavior that would be detrimental to other reef tank inhabitants. Did you see my question regarding Serpent Stars (since you seem to be the resident starfish expert
)?
Since you mentioned Toadstool Leathers and Emerald Crabs, I thought you might like this photo. I snapped it one morning while the lights were off - saw something dark out of the corner of my eye as I was walking past the tank...
Take Care

grabbitt

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
Careful those purples are extreemely agressive.
Truer words have never been spoken... Even if you do love the Miami Heat

ophiura

Originally Posted by indyws6
OPHIURA - Greetings

Point taken - "Reef Safe" isn't necessarily a guarantee but, rather, an indication that a certain species doesn't usually exhibit behavior that would be detrimental to other reef tank inhabitants. Did you see my question regarding Serpent Stars (since you seem to be the resident starfish expert
)?
Since you mentioned Toadstool Leathers and Emerald Crabs, I thought you might like this photo. I snapped it one morning while the lights were off - saw something dark out of the corner of my eye as I was walking past the tank...
Take Care

I'll look for the thread.
This is what my emerald basically used to do. Honestly, if you see chunks out of the margin or holes in it, watch that guy in particular!

indyws6

OPHIURA - Greetings

I have only seen the Emerald Crab "sitting" in the leather coral once, although this could be happening when I am not watching. He didn't seem to be doing anything to the coral and I have not noticed any damaged areas. Maybe he was just relaxing in a soft, leather recliner