Lethargic Seahorses

moonshadow

I have a started a 30 g. Seahorse tank. The tank has been up and running for about 9 months and has live rock and a few snails. The temp is 73.5F, SG 1.024, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates <10. 1 small power head for movement and a hang on protein skimmer and sump for filtration. I just added 4 CB Southern Erectus yesterday. 2 Females and 2 Males. They all were swimming around nicely after acclimation but after a few hours one of the females and one male were laying on the bottom. I added an airstone to the tank to see if they were just recovering from ammonia shock from the shipping bags but this morning they are still laying on the bottom with not much movement. I transfered them to a hospital tank this morning and added the airstone and Hang on filter to keep an eye on them. Is there anything more I can do? or does it just take awhile for some to acclimate. I would really hate to loose them. Thanks in advance.

teresaq

Have you contacted your breeder, They may have some answers for you
How are they doing. Have they eaten any?

moonshadow

They are still lethargic. They don't seem to be eating yet, although it is has only been about 24 hours since I received them. I will try feeding them in a little while and see what happens. I am looking for the email address for the breeder to see if they have any ideas. Thanks

rykna

Originally Posted by Moonshadow
http:///forum/post/2720794
They are still lethargic. They don't seem to be eating yet, although it is has only been about 24 hours since I received them. I will try feeding them in a little while and see what happens. I am looking for the email address for the breeder to see if they have any ideas. Thanks
What are you feeding them? Did you breeder tell you what they had been feeding the horses?

I got myself a pair of lil ponies, kuda I believe on Monday evening, and have been very active and ate at their 1st feeding.......I do NOT want to discourage you by any means but when they stop eating, it is never a good sign. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. GL & KUP

moonshadow

I added some Methelene Blue to the hospital tank yesterday. This morning they look much better. They are hitching on some plastic plants and are upright. Hopefully they will snick some food pretty soon, so I can get them back in the main tank.

rykna

Originally Posted by Moonshadow
http:///forum/post/2722033
I added some Methelene Blue to the hospital tank yesterday. This morning they look much better. They are hitching on some plastic plants and are upright. Hopefully they will snick some food pretty soon, so I can get them back in the main tank.
Wonderful! Don't be to hasty to put them back into the DT. Give them a few days to make up for lost feeding time.

Glad to hear they are doing better......I totally agree with Rykna dont be hasty putting them back....I would leave them there where they are until u know for sure they are eating well

moonshadow

Thank you for all your help and advice. I will probably leave them in the QT for the weekend. They are alert and have good eye movement, but they are still breathing about 60 times/minute. I guess that is a little fast as my other horses in the seahorse tank are breathing about half that. I have not found anywhere on the internet as what they consider fast breathing for a seahorse. Thanks again,
Dan

teresaq

73 to 77 is the desired range for most lrg horses. some are even lower.
the lower the temp the less likleyhood of bacterial infections.
T