let's play name that coral

keith gray

My son bought a beautiful coral for his biocube. When he got home he said he thought the LFS said it was some kind of leather. What is it ?!!

btldreef

Originally Posted by bluering09
http:///forum/post/3226973
Wait, if that's a Kenya Tree then what does a Colt Coral look like %% ?
I say colt coral!
They're all basically the same thing with interchangeable names at times. That's why most places only say "Capnella sp." for the scientific name instead of being really specific.
Colt coral is usually "Cladiella sp." however.
It could be either. Depends on who's picture you go by, people often confuse them, so I say you both win.

spanko

http:///forum/post/3226973
Wait, if that's a Kenya Tree then what does a Colt Coral look like
?
I say colt coral!
You need to look at the individual sclerites under magnification to definately ID.
"The Genus: Capnella (Kenya tree coral) has many common names such as the kenya ,tree coral,and cauliflower coral. Capnella form samll lobed and arborescent capitate colonies. Small, nonretractile polyps arise from a rounded caplike polypary,with many clustered polyps near the terminal ends of brances or atop lobes. In branching forms,they arise along the length of the termianl brances.
The Genus: Cladiella (Colt Coral) has the common name such as finger leather coral. Cladiella species are similar to Alcyonium, but they usually have shorter-lobed projections. Often encrusting with ver short stalk, colonies look heave and lumpy,especially when in a retracted state at night. Their projections are many,forming roun to cone-shaped masses of projecting lobes.
Hope that helps a little,,knowing they all look so much the same it gets way, way to confusing."
info quote from Eric H. Borneman

keith gray

I guess his prize is admitting he is smarter than me ! Of course, maybe that is not saying that much. I thought it may be a Kenya, but it looks bigger than most I have seen.
Now I want to frag it and put some in my 65g. Anybody ever fragged one ?

btldreef

Originally Posted by Keith Gray
http:///forum/post/3226989
I guess his prize is admitting he is smarter than me ! Of course, maybe that is not saying that much. I thought it may be a Kenya, but it looks bigger than most I have seen.
Now I want to frag it and put some in my 65g. Anybody ever fragged one ?
You can literally just cut off a branch with a razor blade. I've hit into mine while cleaning and broken a branch off, it floats away and a week later I find it attached to another rock. There's almost no way to kill those things

spanko

Yup, cut off a branch and lightly but solidly rubber band it to a piece of rock rubble. It will attach in a week or so. Take the rubber band off and super glue gel the rubble where ever you want it to be.
Oh yeah, this stuff grows like weeds. A lot of folks wish the would have controlled it better when they put it in the tank. You may like it better on an island of its own in the sand bed where it can be contained.

bluering09

Spanko thank you so much!
There is nothing like learning good information this early in the morning. I have to admit that until now I spent my time being confused.

spanko

http:///forum/post/3227017
Spanko thank you so much!
There is nothing like learning good information this early in the morning. I have to admit that until now I spent my time being confused.
Yup can be a confusing hobby especially when you are on the boards like this getting all kinds of different opinions.
My caution to you would be to get as many of those opinions as you can and make you own judgments on what is logical to you and you situation. Also to ensure a knowledgeable base to work from read some of the myriad of expert books out there on the subject. For the most part we here have some practical knowledge but the books have the real scientific basis for understanding.

mrdc

I ditto on the books. My biggest mistake was to jump into the hobby without researching first and relying on the soley on the fish store guy. Well that store with out of business and I made a lot of modifications to my tank. I will stop there since that's a touch subject.

Anyway, the books are great and I still use them all the time. The boards are very helpful in looking at others experiences but experiences vary greatly. Good luck.

don1234

Im going to have to say that is not a Kenya Tree although it does look very similar to the Kenya tree. Looks like a Colt Coral to me. Kenya tree looks more feathered when its tips are open. I have so much Kenya. I could be considered a kenya tree farmer LOL! Here's several pictures of some of the Kenya Tree I have. The second two shots are from a tank that I put frags in. The first and last three are from my DT.

J

jstdv8

yeah, if thats a kenya, then Ive been wrong all this time about my piece and I must have a colt. Cuz mine looks alot different