lets play name that crab!!! *music* (lol)

gbellx

So my brother has had this piece of live rock for about a year...and hasnt bought any more rock for a good long time so we notice the big crab crawling around tonight and have no idea what it is....so yeah lets play a little game called...
NAME!!!!
THAT!!!!
CRAB!!!!
*duh dun dah dah daaAHHHHHHH*
Alright ladies and gents...welcome to the show...Our first guess comes from Omaha, NE...and he has a crab that will boggle your mind!! LETS, TAKE A LOOK!!!

(Sorry about the picture quality...my camera is busted)
thanks in advance for the awesome info!

reefkprz

looks like a black emerald, hard to tell with out a frontal shot that shows the claws, but the blurry body pattern is generally familiar.

gbellx

thanks man! im a huge fan of the fragging thread...the claws are big and rounded....what do they eat?

reefkprz

do you mean round crusher style or do they have rounded tips? if its an emerald crab they eat algae. but if the claw tips are poibnted or crusher style its not an emerald.
Thank you, I'm glad you like the thread on fragging.

renogaw

goodness, i had to look 4 times to see the crab. It looks like a rock crab, not safe.
if you have different settings on your camera, go to the one where you can take a picture of flowers to get a clearer picture of it.

reefkprz

Thanks for the save Ren! they would be some mad at me if I told them it was safe then it ate their corals.

gbellx

the crab that i have has little tiny hairs all over it tho...
the rock crab seems...uh...bald?
the "crusher claw" is the big rounded ones right?
i know i have a little emerald crab that has really pointed claws.

jrandolph1

I had two stone crabs once and some xenia. Needless to say had xenia. My and my wife found the first one and we were life whoa cool a crab. Then it commenced to go to the xenia and pluck off a polyp. We grabed the tongs and had to sneek attack it with the lights out. Very difficult. We got it and took it to the LFS and they said since it had black tips on the claws it was a stone crab which makes sence cause at the seafood store the stone crab has black tips on the claws. They fed it to a trigger fish and I was very pleased. Then the xenia continued to dissappear so on the weekend we camped out in the living room with a flash light and found the other. It was to late for the xenia unfortunately but we did finally get rid of the buggers. Now we have healthy un eaten xenia =). But anyway I said all that to say look out for hanger on crabs with black tipped claws.