Let's see your brains

fishkiller

I am interested in getting a brain, but not sure which kind to go with. I am kinda fond of the Favia brain. I would like to see yall's brains to see what most of you guys keep. ThanX!

hairtrigger

Hey, that cool round one in the upper left corner of my tank is a favites bony moon, that's the one you like the most compared to my green brain and red one. I would wait until you get some less risky corals and a cleanup crew before going with brains though. They are known to be prone to crashing in less mature tanks. Plus, like I said, you need to spend the loot on cleaners and a DSB, LR, etc before getting more serious corals. For now, you should stick with the shrooms, leathers, and polyps. Trust me. Or you can not listen, and waste more of your money as usual. Like on that frozen coral beauty in your freezer. :D

leigh

Rye--
I just got a brain a week ago that looks quite similar to yours (just much smaller). It's nice to get the id, since I bought it as a "brain coral". Couple questions, if you don't mind...do you have yours on the sand or on rock? Mine is looking fine on sand but I have a really good ledge for it up high (closer to the lights) on a rock and I'm debating moving it. It's looking just fine now, but what can you tell in a week...so what do you think...leave it on sand on the bottom or move it up high to a rocky ledge?
thanks!
-leigh

ryebread

leigh-
I have mine on the sandbed. It looks great under the VHO but, I must say that it really opens up fully under the Metal Halides.
Depending on what lighting you have, I would keep it on the sand bed for less chance of it tumbling off of a rock. The one I have seems to enjoy the current and I wouldn't want to hit it with too much current sitting on rocks.
If you don't have very strong lighting.......it might become an issue to keep it at the bottom.

nerdy

I'm with fishfishspike!! I don't think that any of us have brains judging by the amount of money we spend on this hobby!!LOL

leigh

yeah, i'm worried about it with my lighting, i always figured 260 watts on a 50 gal was good (not that i go by wpg, but well over 5 wpg) but looking at the lighting setups some folks here have i'm starting to worry. i'll keep an eye on the guy...i took some pictures of him brand new so i'll use them to moniter for fading, if he fades i'll move him to the rock. thanks rye!
-leigh

fishkiller

Yes I do like your favites, but I want more color than that Hairtrigger. I have been doing plenty of my own research on these corals. You know there is this really cool thing called the internet- LOTS of info-good and bad, but that's why i look at it all. That coral beauty died from ich about 4 months ago, so you can shut up about it now. You don't get to say anything until you get good lighting for your OWN tank which is finally starting to look good. Screw the AR-15, get the MH's. Don't make me smack you!:D

hairtrigger

Hey wannabe smart-guy: My lighting is more than sufficient for what I have in my tank. When I decide to do SPS, then the Halides come into the picture. I am well aware of my tank's needs. Which is why it looks the way it does. So hush up before I say screw the AR and just go after you with my .44!
Furthermore, I don't give a tiny rat's behind what kind of research you do. Sure there's plenty on information out there. And the Iraqi Information Minister also said there are no US troops in Iraq. So take what info you might, it may not be accurate. If your tank is too new to support more advanced corals, it doesn't matter if you have the sun itself under your hood. You have yet to get the correct amount of LR in your tank. That is where the good bacteria attatches itself to the surface area, which LR has tons of. The three little pieces in your tank are hardly enough to create the necessary biofilter you need. AND... the crushed coral on the bottom of your tank is nowhere near the amount necessary to do a DSB, which is most effective in balancing a system that will house complex corals. Nor is the miniscule sandbed in there now made of aragonite, which is the best way to go.
ALSO:
The three blue legged hermits that are the size of grains of rice aren't near enough of a clean-up crew to maintain a tank enough to keep complex corals healthy. Nor do you have any snails. And if you do, it's only like one or two. PLUS: The filter you have on there is the smallest one I think is made. But it is the biggest waste of money you could have invested in. AND: You don't have any form of a protein skimmer. BUT: You want to do corals such as brains that have a tendency to be partial to mature tanks.
The reason the many corals, including brains, in my tank are thriving: I LISTENED TO PEOPLE WHO KNOW MORE ABOUT THIS TOPIC THAN I DO. AND I HAVE THE NECESSARY EQUIPMENT. AND MY TANK HAS BEEN ESTABLISHED WITH THE SAME LR FOR YEARS. IT IS A MATURE SYSTEM.
Furthermore: If you are on a budget, you should be buying what you need to have these corals thrive, not slowly die because of an insufficient system.
But like Broomer says "your tank, your choice." Put it this way though: I refuse to give you some frags for your birthday if you won't take the necessary steps to keep them alive." I don't want to see them slowly die like the brains you want to put in the tank will. Ugh.
So take that and mull over it for a little bit wiseguy. :eek:
And I am off work in an hour.
Call me.
Maybe I'll come up tonight. :D

overanalyzer

Originally posted by HairTrigger
Call me.
Maybe I'll come up tonight. :D

Lover's quarrell? Or should I say lovers coral - hahahahah j/k
Nice pics people - I feel liek a traditional kansas folk song:
If I only had a brain .....

hairtrigger

Analyzer, you're a nut man. :D No lover's CORAL here. More like I LOVE CORALS so I don't want them to die in fishiekickers tank. And as far as little misses fishkiller, he fortunately is getting married to a woman soon. Which is good. Because I've had my doubts about him for years. When I say come up, I just mean to do a little drinking and partying. I make him stay three feet away from me at all times. Just covering my butt. No pun intended. :D
AND YOU DVS---- I HAVE YET TO RECEIVE MY RED BRAIN. QUIT SHOWING PICTURES OF IT ON HERE. IT'S NOT YOURS ANYMORE. SAY HERE'S HAIRTRIGGER'S RED BRAIN. :D :p :D