Let's see your stars!

rykna

Originally Posted by cantbstopd
here's mine....
. think it might be on its way to star heaven
. ive had it for over 2 years and have been told by the "star" authority they dont last much past 18 months.....but it's still slowly moving around the tank.
WOW yu're marbled star is awesome. I tried to order one over a year ago. What the store set me was NOT a marbled. Beautiful star!!! :cheer:

ophiura

No, in all likelihood it will not survive long term. There are always exceptions now and then, but the majority will not do will in that system. I would personally never try it.

mpls man

Originally Posted by 30-xtra high
not tryin to hijack.. but ophiura, can a star go in a 30 reef with 40 lbs of liverock?
i wouldn't do any star in a tank that small.., they require a lot of live rock to survive. i'm sure Ophiura would agree. you need to do lots if research before buying stars. i have at least 150 lbs in my 75.

birdmom

not tryin to hijack.. but ophiura, can a star go in a 30 reef with 40 lbs of liverock?
Only the lord above knows how hard it was to refrain from calling out
Ophiura
The profile of "Ophiura" states that she currently cares for a 45gl tank..........
This tank contains "LOADS" of Brittle Stars.....
(Hope the poor starving babies are "micros")
CLASS: Stelleroidea (Axiognathus squamatus)
She also has been kind enough to provide some Coral so that they will be
"entertained"
Uhmmm... OK????
Ophiura discourages the additon any type of Echinoderm in a tank smaller 100+ gallons.... & yet is excited to provide Entertainment to LOADS of Brittlestars???
This is not an attack....
However, it might be a Call Out...
I Highly Doubt that I am the only one that has some Q's....
I also would like point out....
unless Ophiura's tank has suddenly expanded & she has neglected to update......????
(You all know the next question)
That would be kind of strange for a Moderator that spends so much time closing & locking posts...
Just my HMO............
((Not trying to be rude... I just dislike "IDIOTS" hippocrates ))
((ERRR...... I mean EXPERTS))
Hope Ophiura's Stars are currently happy with the entertainment!!!
HUGS!
Yep! No need to ask...

puffer32

Well you are being VERY rude. She keeps brittle stars, there is a difference. You really need to do your homework before you call someone out on the carpet :mad:

ninjamini

She also has the credentials. She knows her stuff. I think you need to be around these boards a little longer before you call someone out. Unless you just want to be a jerk.
Don't worry ophiura we all love you.

reefreak29

wow , u can keep a number of brittles in a smallertank, unlike linkias they dont feed on microfauna,and oph has helped me in the past and is very knowlegable on sea stars,cucs,and urchins.
THATS WHY SHES A MOD AND YOUR NOT!

michaeltx

I would like to point out that current tank size has absolutely nothing to do with experience or the research someone has put into this hobby and the creatures that we keep. I have the utmost repect for ophiura and I know that she knows what she is talking about. You on the other hand and no offense but have been here since june 06 with 103 posts her on the other hand has been on this board since sept 2002 with over 10,000 posts
now if you disagree with something by all means say it there are many different outlooks on this hobby and as many different experiences. BUT what we as a board will not tolerate from you or other members is name calling and rudness because you disagree with something end of statement we are all here to learn and share our experiences.
shall I remind you of this post here and what was said in there. If the harassment and so called calling out someone continues I dont know about the others but I am tired of reading it and listening to your bagering of her. If there is a reason to call someone on something its when someone says hey I just got a 100 gallon tank and a few threads later says they only have a 55 gallon tank.
GET OVER IT and agree to disagree.
Mike

ophiura

"A star" certainly can
but only certain one's. Without a doubt brittle/serpentstars. But for the more reef safe species it is risky. Perhaps a Linckia multiflora if it is a packed reef tank. But larger species of Linckia and Echinaster, as well as the small Fromia's are likely unsuitable.

ophiura

As many say the comment that was deleted, I will say this.
In this hobby, people tend to combine into one group all "stars" including true seastars (Class Asteroidea) and brittlestars (Class Ophiuroidea). These are two TOTALLY different groups in terms of their needs and requirements.
Brittlestars in general can be spot fed and can go in much smaller tanks than reef safe seastars such as Linckia. This is truly and apple to oranges comparison. There is no similarity.
In the wild, you can find sometimes hundreds of brittlestars in a small area. They commonly can be found living under the same rocks in the reef. It is not an issue to keep multiple specimens because they can coexist and can be spot fed.
The limitation with Linckia is purely due to the feeding issues of needing large surface areas of LR. Apples and oranges. Nothing similar.
I certainly do not say you can not keep echinoderms in less than 100g because that would be idiotic. Echinoderms include seastars, brittlestars, sea urchins, sea cucumbers and sea lilies. The latter are a poor choice for tanks, again due to dietary needs. The basketstars, a type of brittlestar, are also typically unsuitable due to diet and more specifically large size.
But cucumbers, urchins, brittlestars and certain seastars - echinoderms all - are absolutely suitable for a mature tank, even of small size. The limitation on Linckia, Fromia, and Echinaster is entirely due to its dietary needs.
Of course the micro brittlestars in our live rock, along with the seastar hitch hiker Asterina, are so common that I likely have several hundred or more echinoderms, even in my 45g tank.
If you feel the need to "call me out" at least be accurate in your details of what I say and when.

birdmom

I see that my reply to you has vanished...
How convenient!
As I have stated... I Like to play Dumb Blond..
Just looking for a place to settle & gain productive advise..
I now see that it will not be found on this board....
Anyone that would take time to look at my previous comments & posts would see that I might know a "little something"
(unless they have been Deleted)
That may be regarded as... (Running or Hiding from reality)
I apologize that I have been dishonest about my history.
My home has "Ton's" of water movement....
I also do not dedicate time & corral to "entertain my Brittle Stars"
Look Back... I once defended a MOD that suggested I treat my tank with
"Snake OIL"
:thinking:
Mispells ARE Intentional....
Originally Posted by ophiura
As many say the comment that was deleted, I will say this.
In this hobby, people tend to combine into one group all "stars" including true seastars (Class Asteroidea) and brittlestars (Class Ophiuroidea). These are two TOTALLY different groups in terms of their needs and requirements.
Brittlestars in general can be spot fed and can go in much smaller tanks than reef safe seastars such as Linckia. This is truly and apple to oranges comparison. There is no similarity.
In the wild, you can find sometimes hundreds of brittlestars in a small area. They commonly can be found living under the same rocks in the reef. It is not an issue to keep multiple specimens because they can coexist and can be spot fed.
The limitation with Linckia is purely due to the feeding issues of needing large surface areas of LR. Apples and oranges. Nothing similar.
I certainly do not say you can not keep echinoderms in less than 100g because that would be idiotic. Echinoderms include seastars, brittlestars, sea urchins, sea cucumbers and sea lilies. The latter are a poor choice for tanks, again due to dietary needs. The basketstars, a type of brittlestar, are also typically unsuitable due to diet and more specifically large size.
But cucumbers, urchins, brittlestars and certain seastars - echinoderms all - are absolutely suitable for a mature tank, even of small size. The limitation on Linckia, Fromia, and Echinaster is entirely due to its dietary needs.
Of course the micro brittlestars in our live rock, along with the seastar hitch hiker Asterina, are so common that I likely have several hundred or more echinoderms, even in my 45g tank.
If you feel the need to "call me out" at least be accurate in your details of what I say and when.

ninjamini

Originally Posted by birdmom
I see that my reply to you has vanished...
How convenient!....
Its less what you say and more how you say it. Its hard to hear the content of what you say over the rudeness that you deliver it with.

ophiura

Birdmom-
I did not delete your post above, and no other post of yours has been deleted unless it was particularly rude...and even those remain, actually.
And you are correct. Do not settle here, because your rudeness will no longer be tolerated. I am afraid you no longer have a choice in the matter.