lets talk about schooling damsels and chromiss

krazekajin

There is a thread going on right now about a dentist's office wanting schooling fish and it got me thinking. I did not want to hijack, so here is a different thread.
I am one of the those people who think that schooling fish are awesome. In the latest issue of "Coral" mag (the best I have found). The newest issue is dedicated to Damsels. They have some very interesting points that I would like to throw out to anybody and everybody.
1. Chromis' need hiding places. I did not realize this but most BG chromis hide the branches of acropora. One man was trying to catch his chromis and blocked the entrance to his chromis' hiding place. He said the chromis tried to get into its hiding spot, couldn't, turned black, and instantly died. They also stated that in order to catch chromis, many times one will have to take the whole coral because the chromis' will not come out of the acro.
2. Chromis' are midwater plankton feeders that are constantly eating. This was by far the most interesting point that I read. Those hobbiest who reported success in keeping schools of damsels and chromis feed often. They recommended an automatic feeder filled with dried cyclops that would dump a small amount of food every hour or so. the amount would be small enough that the fish were eating it and it was not just going to waste in a tank.
I am thinking that I am going to try a school of 6-8 in my 90g when I get it at tax timel. I am going to provide lots of hiding spots and also an auto feeder. I will post results as they come.
Meanwhile, I would like to see and hear other's experience on this. Not just that it can be done, but tell me how you tried it. How often did you feed them, did you have enough hiding places. Etc. etc.
Thanks for helping my unofficial research.

payton 350

i got 3 chromis and they school together, hide behind a rock in the back of the tank at night, stay in the middle of the tank during light hours, i feed them what i feed my other fish , sometimes i crumple a little flake here and there because they do seem to want to eat all day long, they actually school with my two percs, they all get along fine , once in awhile a perc will keep the chromis in his place and not let them near their powerhead but otherwise they are great and would highly recommend them..they were the cheapest fish in my tank and everyone comments about them over anything else in the tank, go figure :notsure:
also since i put them in the tank they really helped draw out the other fish in the tank...no more shy fish all active

krazekajin

thanks Payton for your comments. Chromis can be dither fish which means that because they stay out more, it allows other more shy fish to feel comfortable.
What size tank do you have the chromis in? How long have they been a school or together?

cgrant

I would do chromis, I would stay away from the damsels.
They get mean as he!! when they get bigger, and they usually get big quick!

bang guy

Originally Posted by CGRANT
I would do chromis, I would stay away from the damsels.
They get mean as he!! when they get bigger, and they usually get big quick!
Chromis are Damsels.

scrapman

I have 5 BG chromis in a 90 gal (with a YT, 2 clowns and a YT blue damsel). All are small.
The Chromis are sharks... coming to eat from my hand if they could. The beauty is that they are not shy (most of the time). they swim everywhere/ high/low. Sometime they regroup as a bomber squad ready to strike (amazing), all of they within 1/2 inch. they sleep under branch corals. Almost impossible to locate them at night. Sometimes, they hide all together for no apparent reason during the day with the lights on?
Over all, they are a great show. I hope they keep the BG colors when the grow up??

1journeyman

Originally Posted by KrazeKajin
2. Chromis' are midwater plankton feeders that are constantly eating. This was by far the most interesting point that I read. Those hobbiest who reported success in keeping schools of damsels and chromis feed often. They recommended an automatic feeder filled with dried cyclops that would dump a small amount of food every hour or so. the amount would be small enough that the fish were eating it and it was not just going to waste in a tank.
I've been preaching this point for a while. My BG Chromis are FAR more peaceful towards each other now that I feed everyday, throughout the afternoon and evening.

reefboy12

Well I am still in a mix of how I want to go with my tank......Aggressive FOWLR or Community FOWLR....If I do decide community I will deff. have a school of them. I do have a autofeeder (thought I would addd that tidbit)
-Kevin

66chuck

Have a school of 6 in my 125. Eat twice daily and are much less aggresive towards each other since I started feeding twice. They seem to school more when the lights are dimmed. At night, each has a favorite hiding spot. As a novice, I love the fact they are dynamic, yet easy to care for. (Inexpensive too).

payton 350

the feeding is tricky,,,,,,,,it's like just giving a kid a cookie every hour or so and they want more and more and more .....and to top it off you gotta make sure the other fish get their food too,,,,those guys are so quick at it that they will eat it all before anyone else......and if i don't feed them they just eat particules they see floating around(probably pods and the sorts),,,,crazy but amusing

1journeyman

Originally Posted by scrapman
Hello....
I'm a working man... unable to attend the hourly feeding schedule of my Chromis. Sorry!
I'm a working man as well, in addition to being on here at all hours

I have my lights on a schedule so that I can feed them when I get home from work and then throughout the afternoon and evening.

ecooper

I have 3 bg chromis and I have to say my experiences have been the same as Payton 350 and scrapman. My chromis are very active and do well together once they determined their pecking order. I got them because my other fish were mid to lower level. The chromis tend to middle and upper. I think they're cool.

krazekajin

Originally Posted by scrapman
Hello....
I'm a working man... unable to attend the hourly feeding schedule of my Chromis. Sorry!

But that is why this article used an automatic fishfeeder with dry cylops in it.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by KrazeKajin
But that is why this article used an automatic fishfeeder with dry cylops in it.
I ordered this and will be trying. I suspect it will aid in Anthias as well.