lets talk about schooling damsels and chromiss

1journeyman

Originally Posted by addicted2
anyone have the "blue reef chromis" they have for sale on this site? if so..peaceful?
I have never had any luck raising them. Again it could have been food related.

fender

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
I ordered this and will be trying. I suspect it will aid in Anthias as well.
x2 I am moving in the next month and the new house has a basement... and looking at getting a large tank with schooling fish - Anthias and Chromis. Was pondering the feeding issue and now it looks like I have a solution. :cheer:

catawaba

I tried an autofeeder once, but it kept getting clogged up from the moisture of the tank.
I have 5 green chromis and they are always in a group---playing in the 'surf' watching for food particles.
They aren't harrassed, nor do they harrass.

reefboys

Chromis do a great job of bringing your other fish to life. On the natural reefs, fish feel safe when they can see a school of something swimming around them and their reef. It lets them know that there are no predators near by. I'm not sure how much this plays into a home aquarium but I'm sure it helps!!

wax32

The Chromis I have tried always fade away after a few months... I just can't feed them enough. They really need a lot of food to look their best and last a long time. Almost as bad as anthias if you ask me.

H

huskychasrs

I bought 2 last week as my "starter fish" yes the tank was cycled. They are doing well now first few days didn't have much appetite, but are voracious feeders now. They are cool, going to get 2-4 more tomorrow and a cleaner crew.

dperna

Does anyone here who have Green Chromis (Chromis viridis) have them in a FOWLR tank? if not, do you know if they do as good? because i am too interested in these schooling fish

reefboys

They'll do just as well as normal as long as they have enough in their school so they feel strong in numbers. You might lose one occasionally... but at 4 bucks a pop thats not the end of the world...

dperna

Originally Posted by wax32
The Chromis I have tried always fade away after a few months... I just can't feed them enough. They really need a lot of food to look their best and last a long time. Almost as bad as anthias if you ask me.
thats what im thinking my problem is going to be as well, the feeding that is. anthias's are really big eaters too?

cgrant

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Chromis are Damsels.
You are correct but i dont really consider them the same as the typical damsel like the domino.
Chromis are generally peacefull but something like the domino is evil!
Should have been more specific i guess.

wangotango

that article in CORAL was one of the best ive read in a while also. ill probably be adding 3 green chromis to my 55 soon.
-Justin