Let's talk generators

tangman99

It's getting to be hurricane season again and living in florida, I'm considering getting a generator. I've been researching them and found that there is a world of difference between less expensive and more expensive ones. I'm leaning toward getting the Super Quiet Honda 3000 Watt but it around $2000. Does anyone have this one? Is it worth the extra money? Here is what I found out talking to local shops, reading reviews and looking at specs.
1. Most less expensive generators (Less than $1000) are not continous cycle. In other words, they have to be shut down for a period of time after running for a set amount of time at half power. The Honda has a continous duty cycle at full rated load. You can run it 24/7 and you just have to keep putting gas in it.
2. The Honda uses less gas
3. The Honda is whisper quiet. It runs between 49 and 58 decibels which is about the same as a normal conversation.
4. The Honda puts out very pure power and you can plug sensative electrical devices directly into it.
My main concern is I want it to be quiet and smaller so it is easy to move around and is top quality.
Any other suggestions on models to look at before I throw down a couple of grand?

phixer

Ive got a 13HP Honda OHV motor in a pressure washer, have never had a problem with it. Very good engine.

N

newreefers

Here in Florida as well, Our Generac 4000 watt generator has gotten us through Francis, Jeane, and Wilma. It runs about 12 hrs on a tank of gas (gets you through the night without haveing to get up and gas up the generator) and is fairly quiet. We paid somewhere around $750 at the Home Depot.

lovethesea

choose quiet.......quiet.........ssshhhh !! A friend of ours lives in Alabama, not wiped out from Ivan , but out of power for a few weeks. The neighbors beeeeeeccchhhhed and moaned for the last week about their generator and how loud it was at night. (envious probably at their hurricane preparedness) Some towns (even here in Missouri after some tornado/big storm problems) have "noise" laws that include generators. !!!!!
ssshhhh !!! (
)

emmitt

I would say not worht the extra money. You can get a great generator for less than $750.
First, you wont run it at night. Most towns have ordinances against it, it uses too much gas all night and it is a hazard to run unattanded all night. Not to mention no need. What do you need to power while you are sleeping. Even your tank will be fine at night with just a batteru powered pump.
Second, they can say what they want but i assure you it isnt "whisper quiet". It will stilll be loud.

chipmaker

quote:
It's getting to be hurricane season again and living in florida, I'm considering getting a generator. good idea
#1. Most less expensive generators (Less than $1000) are not continous cycle. snip
NOT TRUE. Your talking continuos watts verses surge watts. A lot of companies show surge rate, so it looks better. Allgen sets have surge and continuous. I have yet to see a gen set that could not be run 24/7. Until its broken in iyts adviseable to shut it down and check oil, and everytime you fill it check oil, but as long as gas and oil are fine no reason any of them can not run 24/7
2. The Honda uses less gas
NOT TRUE
I have a Kohler that uses less gas than my larger honda and they are both rated at 10K. HOnda being better at gas consumption is an old wives tale. What makes for a lot of difference in gas consuption is "auto-idle" some of the cheaper gen sets run at a set speed regardless if they arte loaded or unloaded with power draw. Look and make sure yur getting a auto idle gen set, so it drops down to a lower speed when unloaded. These auto idle sets will also last longer since they are not running at wide open throttle all the time.
3. The Honda is whisper quiet. It runs between 49 and 58 decibels snip
Yes/no...the cheap gen sets are sold with a typical small engine muffler that leaves a lot to be desired. Nnothing worse than hearing the constant drone of these cheap gen sets days on end when everyone is running a gen set. There are some fine after market mufflers made for those cheap gen sets that makes the noise level as quiet or maybe even quieter than a Honda.....I certainly do think HOnda makes a good gen set, but there is lots of honda powered sets out there that are just that honda p owered, and all do not use the same grade of motor. Honda also makes a cheapie consumer grade motor that is no better than the typical tecumseh or Briggs and Stratton engine, so do not go by the name on the motor. HOnda also produces a cheap cponmsumer grade of gen set also, which is higher priced and no better than some gen sets sold at Wally world.......its a buyers market and manuf know this and take advantahge of the general public know knowing what engines are what and how things arte constructed......and the way the routinely market the gen sets etc....
4. The Honda puts out very pure power snip
60 cycles power is far from being clean anyhow, and do not think for one minute the power yur getting from a power company is clean., I would not be afraid to b et, a gen set of cheap design is gonna produce power that is equal to or better thanwhata yur getting fro9mn the power company on a good day. probbaly even better than the power company provides. Yet another myth in the ploy to sell gen sets, buyt higher priced dealers make more profit, and its not a critical aspect to worry about at all.
Do you actually need 220 volts or can yu get buy on 115.....9 out of 10 times folks never use the 220, and what 220 is there is not enough to power AC or most 220 items so it goes unused.
What I would do is make a list of what I definately "NEED" to power up, and add 50 to 100% more in watts, and shop around. I would not be afraid of any Generac set. Same for a true honda made set or a yamaha. Onan and Kohler also make good sets. I prefer a multi fuel gen set and these can be had for about 100 bucks more than a gas powered set. All but one of our 3 gen sets is multi fueled. Less problems and hassles runing a gen set on propane than gasoline, buyt if need be a simple push of a lever and I can run on gas as well as LPG......No flamable liquiids have to be stored. Most everyone has LPG cylinders around, and running on LPG is much cleaner, and extend maintenance etc such as oil changes etc.......Gen sets set most of the times unused. and gas powered sets are gonna fail to start just when you need them. LPG is not usually a problem in that area.
Figure wattage needs, then shop. Don't let a louder gen set stop you if its $100 or more cheaper. A simple muffler change fixes that, look for auto idle and what the gen set is rated at continous use Surge is basically useless to most home owners anyhow as they just use extension cords without really concerning themselves on what they intend to power up. Surge rating is nice if yur installing a auto start on/off line setup, to power just about everything or if you know about surge requirements of some items......just don't let surge rating fool u into thinking its bigger , its the continuous that counts.

chipmaker

Originally Posted by lovethesea
choose quiet.......quiet.........ssshhhh !! A friend of ours lives in Alabama, not wiped out from Ivan , but out of power for a few weeks. The neighbors beeeeeeccchhhhed and moaned for the last week about their generator and how loud it was at night. (envious probably at their hurricane preparedness) Some towns (even here in Missouri after some tornado/big storm problems) have "noise" laws that include generators. !!!!!
ssshhhh !!! (
)
I know some agencies are assinine, but to impose a noise law on generator sets after such a thing as a tornado or hurricae is totally assinine. Yet another example of nazi type laws elected officials cram down peoples throats that do not have a clue as to whats going on in life. I am afrauid they woul dhave to lock me up or keep giving me a ticket until things got liveable again, and then we would have to set a court date. I think a good lawyer could knock the heck out of that law.....Uusally in bad times lots of laws are overlooked, and I would have to susupect that noise law would be one of them.....

chipmaker

Originally Posted by emmitt
I would say not worht the extra money. You can get a great generator for less than $750.
First, you wont run it at night. Most towns have ordinances against it, it uses too much gas all night and it is a hazard to run unattanded all night. Not to mention no need. What do you need to power while you are sleeping. Even your tank will be fine at night with just a batteru powered pump.
Second, they can say what they want but i assure you it isnt "whisper quiet". It will stilll be loud.
In this regin nigth is when most gen sets get used. Lights, fans etc. Its not good sleepin gin 100% humidity, and 100 deg temps, and a fan at night does make a difference. Batteries are conserved more than gen set useage, just in case gen set dies......Battery stocks are most times depleted fairly early on, and batteris only last a snort while anyhow. But the good brands of rechargheabnle batteries, and plug the charger into the gen set so yu r not as dependant on needing to keep a huge supply of batterys on hand......rechargeable units are fairly cheap and if its the newer style batteries can be charged 100% in 15 minuts or so, as compared to 24 hours for some other types. Stay away fro the nickle cadmium types of rechargeables. Too touchy in regards to chjarge and discharge. Go with the N /MH (Nickle metal halide) as they charge in mintes.
Power may be out, but you would be surprised how easy fuel for a gen set is to find.....especially if its a LPG set.

moneyman

Originally Posted by newreefers
Here in Florida as well, Our Generac 4000 watt generator has gotten us through Francis, Jeane, and Wilma. It runs about 12 hrs on a tank of gas (gets you through the night without haveing to get up and gas up the generator) and is fairly quiet. We paid somewhere around $750 at the Home Depot.
I have the same thing also. I love it. It is not quiet. However, it is comfortable if all the doors and windows are closed.

moneyman

Originally Posted by TangMan99
3. The Honda is whisper quiet. It runs between 49 and 58 decibels which is about the same as a normal conversation.

Honda Super Quiet Generator is quiet because it is not a generator. It is an inverter. Honda EG3500 is rated at 75db (think vacuum cleaner). Inverters are not as efficient as generators and not as durable. Typically, their outputs is not as sinusoid as generator. However, if it is for emergency, it will do fine.

tangman99

Hey Chipmaker,
That's the exact kind of feedback I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to provide all that information. That is extremely helpful. I will do some looking around see what I might need. The best I can think of right now would be:
a refrigerator for food and milk for our little girl
a small 13" color TV
DirecTV TIVO
a couple of lamps
a Fan
coffee pot
Mag 7 return pump on my tank
One 250Watt halide light on my tank for a few hours a day.
Do you think a Generac 977 4000XL Extended Life Generator would be a good choice?

wm23oh

Originally Posted by TangMan99
Hey Chipmaker,
That's the exact kind of feedback I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to provide all that information. That is extremely helpful. I will do some looking around see what I might need. The best I can think of right now would be:
a refrigerator for food and milk for our little girl
a small 13" color TV
DirecTV TIVO
a couple of lamps
a Fan
coffee pot
Mag 7 return pump on my tank
One 250Watt halide light on my tank for a few hours a day.
Do you think a Generac 977 4000XL Extended Life Generator would be a good choice?
REMEMBER to watch the amps!!! A 1000 watt generator can power a decent tv but can't power a hair dryer.

chipmaker

You just need to total up all the wattage of the item you will want to power up. Figure out what would all be running at the same time.....You can get by with unpowering a fridge, or a deep freeze and just power it up periodically not past the poin the temps rise but its best to keep those items jam packed full of frozen of fridgerated foods as more mass means more cool temps for a longer period of time.
Add the wattage up and buy accordingly. If they do not list watts the formula is AMPS times VOLTS equals WATTS. So if yu have 115 VAC power, and the device pulls 5 amps, your wattage would be 575 watts.......Refrigerators also have a surge since they are a motor. Motor driven things typically present a need for higher starting amps until its running then it drops down to continous rate, so its not uncommon for say a refridgerator to require 10 amps to start but once started only needs 7 amps to keep running......Yu may want ot be able to power a micro wave oven too,,,sure are nice when you want somehtng hot unless you go propane etc. Without looking up that gen set, I assume its 4000 watts continuous, so given what your looking to power up, I would say off the top of my head it shoul dhave sufficient power and then some for what you want. Odds are most fooks will never have a beed for 220 and it goes unused. Unless yu need rto power a well pump etc if things are that bad yuor certaily not going to need a clothes dryer or the cook stove, where you can get buy n a microwave or hotplate and lay the clothes in the sun to dry, use a fan to keep cool, and as for hot water well during the season when hurricanes hit, we have had good luck with buckets of water or some hoses coiled up and laying in the sun with water in them for a short duration of hot water.

tangman99

Thanks Chipmaker,
That is continuous power. The max power is 5000W. It has everything you mentioned and more. It will run everything I need with no problem. It has Auto idle based on power draw, 4 gallon tank with 13 hour run time at half power, 12V battery charger, 20A and 30A 120v and it does have 220V also.
It is an extended life generator and has been around for a long time. It gets awesome reviews on amazon and is $729.00 with free shipping.
The only negative reviews I found were on a RV forum and that was because of noise using it in an RV park which I'm not interested in.

albertbill21

Hi everyone thanks to all of you for these nice threads. I really enjoy it and get the best info about generators. If anyone has an idea about Best Portable Generator Under 1000$ so please give me your opinion. I really need the best generator so am here. Please watch it and guide me. Is it better for me?