Let's talk Halimeda

spanko

So my reading indicates a few things about this, what I consider, beautiful plant for our aquariums. I would like to see what others have experienced with it.
Halimeda is a calcareous algae plant much the same as Coralline is.
It can live in the rockwork andor in the sand.
It is able to export nutrient when pruned much the same as Caulerpa or Chaetomorph.
"The calcification abilities of Halimeda make them useful as a barometer of calcium and alkalinity. Rapidly growing masses of calcareous algae are good indicators that the amounts of available calcium and carbonate in the water are adequate for calcification, a critical consideration for the maintenance of stony corals. Healthy Halimeda that is properly calcifying will have segments that are somewhat rubbery but not spongy. This indicates production and deposit of aragonite crystals and is as reliable as any calcium and alkalinity test kits you can buy at the corner store."
The plants' calcareous nature makes them a less appetizing meal to grazing fish such as surgeonfishes than more succulent algae.
So because of this information I am about to add some of this plant to my 29 biocube. Does anyone have anymore experience with this plant before I do so?

saltn00b

i tried it in a fuge and it the cheato covered and killed it.
i have seen some people put it in reef tanks. i heard something like if it turns white with green spots it is about to release spores or something that you dont want in the tank and you have to remove it.

spanko

Yup you are exactly correct about the white with the green dots spore release. This tends to happen, according to my research, if the water parameters are not up to par, calcium etc. and can be avoided by keeping them in check and pruning it as it grows. I would like to put it in the display because visually I like what it adds.

saltn00b

i dont really see what the harm could be. it is not invasive or a fast grower. i say try it. if it doesnt work out, take it out.

jaymz

I have some in my DT and it is doing fine..i have halimeda and shave brush.. and if the tips of new growth stay white too long i know its time for a calcium dose or water change. it grows fast enough i notice new growth almost daily but not so fast it will ever take over the tank.
I like it for asthetics and nutrient export.

nycbob

i hv a few in my reef too. it needs good calcium level and strong light. not a plant i'd put in a fuge under pc lighting. it is not an invasive plant.