newfishliny

I am filling my 90gal and one side is off by 1"
so I feel the flow on my bulk heads is going to
have a problem
should i just slide some wedges under the stand,
you might have other Idea.
thanks

mr . salty

If it is an iron stand with four legs,,Then YES you can just shim under the two legs at the low end...
If you have a cabinet style stand it is a bit more complicated.You must shim it all the way across the front and back of the tank so you don't cause the stand to sag in the center...This sagging will cause the front or rear glass to break.
The real problem with an unlevel tank is that the added weight on the low side can cause the side seams to blow out.So however you solve the problem,it needs to be done as soon as possible...

gregzbobo

Something else that might be a good idea is to get some 3/4" styrofoam and put it between the tank and the stand, it will help absorb some of the uneven-ness of the stand and tank. It will compress considerably once you add water, so it should not be very visible. be sure you use it all the way around the tank, and at the seams butt it together tightly.

newfishliny

my stand is a 48" custom bulit 3/4 ply 2x2 in each corner and 2x4
at the bottom base finished in an expoxy paint. I think if i level it
with masonite I'll be ok. thanks.
as for the foam do i put it between the glass bottom of the tank and the stand and on the edges.
with this do anything to the glass , will it make pressure to the glass bottom , adding weight of rock and sand.
thank you for all your help
Don

gregzbobo

the bottom glass of your tank, if tempered is probably at least an 3/4 of an inch thick, figure twice that if its untempered, adding rock and sand and all the weight of the water to it will not affect the bottom pane of glass at all I think. Its mostly the outer edges where the tank frame is that you need to worry about keeping level. The bottom of my 65 gallon tank is untempered and is a good inch and a quarter thick. I know this because I have 2 holes drilled in it for the plumbing.

newfishliny

well my wall are 3/4 glass and bulk head fittings are drilled to 1 "
you know there is a space between the bottom glass , so the glass really doesn't seat flat on the stand . I think there all design for flex. anyway you have been very helpful.
thank you
Don