Lex's new corals

lexluethar

So we finally figured out our camera, and realized with the correct settings the picture quality isn't as bad as we once thought. Although the camera itself isn't that great, we made the best of it.
Feel free to give input, critisize (constructive please), and let me know what you guys think. I'm extremely excited about my new corals (acro, mushroom rec, leather, clam), and i think unless my anemone decides to move everything will pretty much stay put. The anemone kinda looks like crap because i've been moving it all day.

reefkprz

HOLY CORALINE COVERAGE!!! the rocks almost look painted they are so coverd.
looks good. I think you need more corals though. lots more.
(i'm sure you agree)

blownz281

Lex looking good. your BTA looks the same color as mine GBTA. wish they were more of a green like my avatar. i paid more less nothing for mine,but wish it was nicer looking.. i'm picky. good luck with your tank

perfectdark

LEX !! Nice very nice... I love the clam, I want one bad. Your hammer coral looks happy too. As does your anemone... are your clowns hosting in it or just chillin near it? I agree plan for lots more corals... You may need a loan

lexluethar

Haha, no just the big one hosts the anemone. The other one will sleep in there, but the large one still won't let the smaller one near the anemone unless they are sleeping. During the day my smaller clown is starting to host the hammer.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by LexLuethar
http:///forum/post/2564554
Haha, no just the big one hosts the anemone. The other one will sleep in there, but the large one still won't let the smaller one near the anemone unless they are sleeping. During the day my smaller clown is starting to host the hammer.
Thats cool hopefully she will let him in... Looks good... man.
I've got some pics to put up of my little drama going on in my tank. I added a much smaller perc to my already established one, the other day. Well the larger one did was expected and started in on the little guy. But for some reason the little guy wouldnt submit. I turned the lights off to calm every one down and I didnt see the little guy again for a whole day. He was shoved back into my LR. He resurfaced long enough for a quick peak then back to his under rock lair. He still wouldnt submit, to the larger one though. On the 3rd day he appeard battered and notably scared. He has litterally no tail fin at all and his side is beat up. But he was out, and guess what.. yep he submitted to the larger one every time he approached it. So no he's allowed out and he took right to my BTA which was also being hosted by my yellow clown goby. So for now it appears everything is going to work out. Hopefully the little guy wont get an infection in his injurys, and he should be ok.

lexluethar

Ya, well i'm glad that your two are getting along at this point. I'm not sure why, but I don't think mine will become a mated pair. Not really sure why, both were small when i bought them, eventually one became dominant and about 33% larger. The larger one will beat up on the smaller one and the smaller one will jirate his body in a submissive fasion. But they still don't hang out much unless they are sleeping - otherwise the larger one just beats up and chases the smaller one around.
Now that i have the hammer coral i bet the smaller one just hosts that and hangs around that from now on. Do i need to worry about my clown hosting the hammer? I've heard of this happening before w/o any issues, should i be worried?

perfectdark

It depends on how aggressive it is "Hosting". Not all anemone fish host the same. From what I have seen, as we all know Maroon Clowns seem to host the most aggressively, but not far behind them are tomato and cinnimon clowns IMO. Next I would say skunks, clarkii, and saddle backs.. but IMO they arent overly aggressive. And last I would place the True Percula and the Ocellaris as the least aggressive. This is JMO but from witnessing the few that I have, this is what I have seen, and of course there are the exceptions. So, as long as when your lights are on the coral is inflated and looking good, I would say your in no danger of hurting it. But if you start to see slime sluff off, or a retracted coral, then I would start to worry that the clown is irritating it. The issues become worse when the clown grows and the coral hasnet caught up to it yet. The fish may not have to be more aggressive, it just has more surface area rubbing on the coral and that alone can create an unhappy coral.