lfs advise?

pattycake

I have a 55 gal thats been up since August. I have studied (I thought) all that needs to be checked on the care of a successful sw tank. I have fish, crabs, snails, and corals. Everything is going good! Did the cycle, test kit for amonia, nitrates, nitrites, all in line. So, I asked my lfs last week why I was not seeing any coraline growing and she asked me what my calcium level was. Hmmm whats that? Anyway, I purchased 2 test kits one for calcium and of for KH. Along with a bottles of seachem reef carbon and seachem reefadvantage. Got home and did the tests and low and behold my levels where off. So I added both as directed. Waited 3 days and tested again. The levels where a little better but still not right so I added again. This may be my mistake, now my torch coral looks like its dying, it is turning slimy brown. Do I need to wait two weeks and test again or do I keep adding until the levels are where they need to be? p.s. do I need to get rid of the coral? Will it grow back?

ophiura

What is your pH and alkalinity? You must follow these closely when using calcium...do a search for these terms - actually there may be a link to this under BangGuy's "informational threads" sticky in the reef section. What are all you other water parameters? I am also not exactly familiar with the contents of those products, but if they contain other trace minerals (like Iodine, strontium, etc) you can overdose those. What is your water change schedule? How long have you had the coral?

wwfstyle

The thing about haveing to add calcium in two days have me wondering if you are bring it up to fast. Calcium grow algae. Higher the lvl the faster it grows. Is your tourch in a high current area? If not then place him in a higher current area. Algae dosen't grow where the current is higher. If the tourch looks like ummmmmm GUEY (sp?), a blob then take him out so it wont effect the other corals in your tank. OH and you want your Calcium lvls to be around 450.

lion_crazz

calcium is definitely a part of the reason why you don't have coralline algae. Like stated though, you need to check your pH and kH and bring up your calcium very, very slowly. Dosing that stuff at that quick of a rate may be affecting the coral.
You said your levels were off? How "off" were they? What is your pH, kH, and calcium levels reading?

pattycake

I first panicked when the coral started looking bad, and went to a search of swf.com for some answers. the only thing I found was someone suggested checking the ammonia and water flow. I checked that and it was fine, and water flow is good to. As far as the tests go I can only tell you on the calcium test she had showed me the chart and said if your water is not this color purple by the time you have added 19 drops your calcium is low. at 19 drops the color was a dark fuschia. and on the kh kit i should have to add at least 13 drops before the water turns yellow. and it was turning yellow on drop 7. If this does not help i will have to get back with you later cause i am at work and i dont have the test kits with me. But by all the answers i guess i did overdue the treatment. I have had this coral for 4 months and it has always looked good. So the bottom line is dont add anything now wait 2 weeks and check again? I guess i lost a good coral.

wwfstyle

You could try to do a 20% water change. That might help your torch out some. Do some research on Kalwasser. Try the drip system out or do a search on DIY. this helps with your Ph and your cal. lvls. but if you are just adding the stuff to your tank I have heard that you only add it at night so it will go through your tank. Do it after lights are out.

lion_crazz

yeah the water change will only help it in the long run. It may close up at first, but give it some time.