LFS at it again for a dollar from a newbie

sharkbait9

I went in. I’m looking around admiring some of the coral prices out of this world. Any way I’m looking and this poor newbie is talking and I can over hear what he’s asking, and it goes down like this.
Customer: Yeah I have 120 gal tank with 2 lbs of live rock per gallon with a couple of fish right now, cause I want to make a reef tank. All the fish I have are reef safe.
LFS: Are you sure?
COh man this is too good. I stopped at a LFS, one that I don’t like but my fiancé was shopping next door so ustomer: I bought them from you guys, they better be, that’s what I was told.
LFS: Oh, Ok. Then they are. How long has your tank been up?
Customer: 6 months today.
LFS: Ok that’s a good and healthy tank.
Customer: The problem I’m having right now is my nitrates are 15 ppm and my phosphates are 0.5, I want to add some coral now, but can I ?
LFS: That’s Ok, anything in mind?
Customer: anything that can stand my levels?
LFS: Well, I would recommend a maxima clam and a derasa clam, These clams will help keep the levels low.
Customer: How much do they sell for?
LFS: The Maxima clam sells for 150.00 and the derasa clams sells for 125.00. Both clams will do great in your tank. They will help lower your ammonia, if any. They also lower nitrates and phosphate, and they will filter feed from your water.
Customer: that’s a lot for two clams, that I don’t want to die in my tank.
LFS: No these are hardy, as long as your water levels stay good then you have nothing to worry about.
Customer: so I don’t have to feed them?
LFS: Nope, just add filter feeding supplement into your water, and they’ll be fine.
Customer: I have read that some coral need certain types of light.?
LFS: Yes, that’s true. What type of lights are currently running?
Customer: oh I have metal Halides, I bought them here,
LFS: Do you know what watts?
Customer: yeah 150 watt.
LFS: Then your fine.
Customer: ok then I guess if the clams will help lower my levels then I’ll take them.
LFS: Ok great, these are great clams very vibrant in color, you won’t be sorry with these clams.
I should have said something but, I just shook my head at the sales man as he was telling this guy this stuff.

S

scoobs

Yea.. Be careful what you do say.. I got asked not to come back to a lfs here in town when i told a guy to be really careful about putting a flame pygmy angel in his reef tank. I even said it MIGHT work but watch him close.. and the lfs guy was just like flipping out.. anyway i dont really care those guys are con-artist anyway.. I could understand it if i done this type thing all the time.. but i only go to this place maybe once a month and this is the first time i ever said anything.. other than to a guy wanting to buy a solid brown acropora that had bleached all the way to the very tips and they still wanted 60 bucks for.

king4345

Sounds right... They will tell you what you need to hear if you are not careful. I got so fed up when I first started out that I would carry several books in a bag with me to the LFS... Got a few evil looks... I feel bad for the animals though. They may survive but alot of them don't and the LFS don't care they made their money and next week they will order in some more...

R

reef33

Hey car salesmen will sell you a pile of junk if you dont know what you are looking for first its not just LFS that sell a line of BS. Research never hurt anyone......

sharkbait9

as I stood there shaking my head, I could see that the sales guy knew he was wrong. The sales guy did not even believed what he was saying, he stumbled on his words a few times. I really don't like that store anyway, but I hate to burn brides if I’m every in a need for a food or additive product. I won't buy live stuff from them A because of price, and B the new owner just wants to make money, not giving a crap what his sales people tell customers. Not one mention of dripping the clams either, I really wanted to say to the customer you may want to go and pick up some phyto feast for them or something, but I just stood there in disbelief. OH AND ON TOP OF IT ALL the poor clam was ripped right off the shelf. The poor clam took a footing and this A-hole of sales man rips them right off. That’s why I really hate some of these LFS around me. In jersey its make a buck not set the hobbyist straight and teach them. This whole industry has become make a buck let the customer self educate.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by ReeF33
Hey car salesmen will sell you a pile of junk if you dont know what you are looking for first its not just LFS that sell a line of BS. Research never hurt anyone......
Your comparing fish to cars? Big difference. Cars are not alive, LFS and the keeper have a responsibility to that live stock. Secondly nothing like making an excuse for a car sales man. Everybody knows car sales man are blood sucking leaches, doesn’t make it right to except. When you go to a car dealer your not asking them how to maintain the car and keep it alive. Your LFS is “supposed” and supposed is the operative word, to be knowledgeable in the upkeep and care. Yes granted some responsibility falls on the customer for not researching the clams care first. BUT, the customer approached the sales man with concern and with the intent to find out care for such. As any one in this hobby finds out sooner or later you never take a salesman word as “law”.

maxalmon

Ok, if the guy knows to test for phospates and has MH lighting, it sounds like he has some experience, not to many beginners test for phosphates. I hate to say this, but why would anyone plop down or consider getting something that $$ without doing some research. I would have said something, but thats just the way I am, casually mention, "Oh, I have one of those, it needs XYZ to keep alive from what I have read" then run

shoreliner11

Just try to keep in mind everyone had to start their knowledge in the industry from somewhere. Some also don't care to know more about their tank as long as its pretty and nothing is dying. I'm not making excuses for them, but its those people who the lfs should be trying to steer in the right direction. JMO
Good on ya
Aaron

wangotango

i wish i has some bad LFS stories, but.... i like my LFS' they actually spend time and go over what it takes to keep a certain coral, and actually care about your system, and of course you. but unfortunatly theyre expensive.

fishman830

there's this LFS around me.. bout 25 mins away, now it's well worth the ride because they're so freakin' good. they bend backwards to help you out with a problem. i was looking for a cure of my hair algae, and the sales associate went out of his way to ask his boss what he'd recomend

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by maxalmon
Ok, if the guy knows to test for phospates and has MH lighting, it sounds like he has some experience, not to many beginners test for phosphates. I hate to say this, but why would anyone plop down or consider getting something that $$ without doing some research. I would have said something, but thats just the way I am, casually mention, "Oh, I have one of those, it needs XYZ to keep alive from what I have read" then run
maybe the guy is doing what’s pointed out to him and going on the directions of his supposed source of info. Cause we all know everything we read on the internet and what some LFS say is true
. I heard the customer say that yeah I bought this, that, and the other thing from your store. Well that to me is LFS ploy to sell as much merchandise to a new hobbyist as possible and make them think they are the only source to shop in. I don't know, maybe its me, but I don't think a clam should be in a tank unless its been up and running without major problems let alone any problems for a year, and established. Clams IMO are not something you can just throw in a tank and go ok I’ll learn as I go. Before I bought my clams I made damn sure my waters were good, lights were the right power and strength and I had the food at the ready before I introduced them into my tank. Like I said some fault can be put on the buyer for being lead like a sheep into a sale with out completely understanding a clams needs. No offense to some people on this board, a lot of members know their stuff while others are getting their info out of aquarium monthly and recycling it as bible truth. When I first join this board, not believing everything written on a message board I posed some “newbie” question to see what kind of answers I would get. Some true and fact, while others were “this weeks topic of questions and answers” I like some others on this board take their tanks very serious and don’t want some one giving me this weeks answer. That’s what it appears some LFS are doing. Read a mag and “ok that’s fact” till next month. I don’t know it just seems like some LFS want to make the money first instead of leading the customer down the right path and earning that customers trust with their tank.
Originally Posted by Fishman830

there's this LFS around me.. bout 25 mins away, now it's well worth the ride because they're so freakin' good. they bend backwards to help you out with a problem. i was looking for a cure of my hair algae, and the sales associate went out of his way to ask his boss what he'd recomend
Now see what fishman said. That a LFS you would be more inclined to shop at and use. If they are going out of their way to make sure you understand that particular critters needs and have no problem showing and going over it with a customer. That to me is a LFS that should be given praised too. I have only found one so far by me and even then if your just a one time trick then they may not be willing to go over everything with you, but will try and sell all the other essential needs of that coral/fish.

elvictre

I had a LFS sell a guy 3 LTA's and a brain coral that would do fine under regular lights.....hmmm He also said he had 60 fish in his 125. The guy knew I was aware of what he was doing so he kept trying to lead the guy away from me.
Vic

fishman830

Now see what fishman said. That a LFS you would be more inclined to shop at and use. If they are going out of their way to make sure you understand that particular critters needs and have no problem showing and going over it with a customer. That to me is a LFS that should be given praised too. I have only found one so far by me and even then if your just a one time trick then they may not be willing to go over everything with you, but will try and sell all the other essential needs of that coral/fish.
they were actually Voted Retail Store of the Year By Pet Product News.

bri23520

let me take a wild guess what store you are yalking about is it tropiquaruim on 35 in ocean twp. very high prices and not very knollegable. wont shop there anymore!!

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by bri23520
let me take a wild guess what store you are yalking about is it tropiquaruim on 35 in ocean twp. very high prices and not very knollegable. wont shop there anymore!!

Survey saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaays…….. DING DING DING. You are correct sir

sharkbait9

And the crappie thing about it is they know their prices are high.
Trop empl: we have the best corals around anywhere, You will not find a better coral in size or shape, for the price we are selling at.
Me: well if I do will you be willing to match the price. Because a new place opened up on Rt9 in Marlboro with good prices.
Trop empl: No.
Me: why not?
Trop empl: we don’t have too.
Me: why not, I have been dealing with this place before the new owner.
Trop empl: You still come back don’t you?
Me: only to look at see what corals I want and see what they look like in person.
Trop empl: What you won’t buy, some one else will.
Me: I don’t know some of these other stores have better price, and the corals seem to be the same size or a inch smaller. Online even with shipping prices are still twenty to thirty dollars cheaper
Trop Emp: they probably are not as healthy or vibrant in color, or they come to you all stressed out and have a harder time acclimating to your tank.
Me: no they seem just as nice if not nicer.
Trop Empl: well then you need to shop with at those stores.
Me: Ok,
So this was a conversation at trop a while back after I found out that they treat all fish tanks with a minute amount of copper, as per an employee. When ask what they do for sick fish. Like do you have a hospital tank in the back. No, sumps get a minute amount of copper, not enough to really be traceable or harmful to live stock that can not tolerate copper. This was an employees answer to me. So from that conversation, I have never bought a live critter from them again, and never will.

fallnhorse

These fish stores are in a racket. When i first started in saltwater. My local pet store in colorado told me unlike fresh water tank. With salt tanks you don't need to change the water. You can imagion the frustration. I decide not to believe him after my fish started to act sick and did water changes. Now i have read every marine reef book i can get my hands on. He asked me you have any problem? I said no....Then he has the nuts to say "oh? I dont make any money when your not having problems". I read everything i can now. Try to be as educated as possible. I find it fascinating ecosystem. But i do not like pet store. I found one LFS i like and its only saltwater. Kinda strange guy but they got everything. I drive 80 miles to that place. Cause local one just WAY TO HIGH PRESSURE. I want to pop them one on the jaw. Always talking bad about everyone.
any way I AGREE!
my two cents.

irondog

Hey sharkbait,every try that lfs i told you about off parkway 137 in roselle park underwater world,nice fish an coral but kinda high,very helpful,i was down in your area last week sharkbait an dropped by the lfs in marlboro nice guy was one of the brother very helpful,hey fisherman what store are you talking about,absolutely fish in clifton

sharkbait9

I was up that way and drove up and down or so I thought i was on the right road. I could not find the post to ask you about the directions. Post them. Like every one who has read my post, a good to great lfs I’ll brag and boast up and down about it, if its a make a buck and screw the buyer store, oh then I’ll nuke the hell out of them on every board I hang on.

irondog

Het sharkbait its 137 off parkway north,come to light make left,go about 2 miles its on the left right across from the ford dealer small little place i think its like 4 traffic lights after forth maybe like 200feet on left underwater world roselle park