lfs dedicated to just swf and coral

robchuck

ASOL is the best LFS in the Chicago area in my opinion. They are dedicated to reefkeeping, have an awesome selection of good-priced corals (especially SPS and clams), and are very helpful.

billsweet

ASOL= a splash of life
thanks for the second Rob
these guys are fragging their own stuff
they introed me to feeding corals something other than light
like rotifers and newly hatched brine which they sell and will teach you to hatch or breed your own real experts with thousands of gallons dedicated to reefs

g13

???????????????????
Where is this store located at? How far are they from chicago?

robchuck

ASOL is located in downtown Elburn (pretty much straight west of Chicago) on Rt. 47. I've always made the trip from Aurora, but would guess that it would take anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half from the city taking the NW Tollway.

billsweet

never been to either of those places but it is definitly worth a road trip if your looking for low-priced frags

kona

Hey all, I live in Evanston and make frequent trips to LFS's around here. Here is my 2 cents after having gone to each of these LFS's over a dozen times.
Old Orchard -
Best Invert selection, well knowleged staff
Way overpriced corals, small fish selection
Living Sea -
Best fish selection which gets replenished often, alright selection of corals
Only 1 or 2 knowleged staff on hand at any time
Chicago Aquarium -
Best priced coral selection if you talk with Ken, nice and knowlegable staff
Lacks good fish selection
I'm definately making time to get down to A Splash of Life.

robchuck

I was out there about three weeks ago to pick up some Cyclopeeze and some macros. I was given a nice sized bag of calurpa, chaeto, and some other assorted macros for $10. The clams and SPS were looking good as usual.

g13

Have any of you guys gone to "Splash of life" lately. I wanted to know if any of you guys checked out their tank raised "black onyx" true perculas? I was wondering if the 3 stripes come out on their fry's or are they misbarred. I heard that all tank raised true perculas come misbarred, dunno if that's true? But, i'm really interested in getting that kind of true percula. Thanks,