LFS guy says...What do you think?

phild

I just left the LFS and was wondering if the info I got is correct...
The cycle in my tank just completed, and I was shopping for some inverts (clean-up crew). Anyway, the LFS guy recommended that I do not add ANY inverts because of the fact I am using tap water for my tank. He said that the "heavy metal buildup in our area (North Atlanta) is pretty bad, and any invert you add will most likely go belly up."
He instead steered me to sand-shifting Gobys. (I have not yet researched this fish, so I do not know much about it.) He also recommended that if I am interested in snails, starfish, crabs, etc, I should get an RO unit, or buy RO water from them in conjunction with getting a copper remover chemical from them. (I did not ask price of RO water.) I know copper can be detrimental to inverts and show tanks, but I have read of so many people on this board using tap water, I am kinda lost.
What do you guys think? I have learned not to always trust the LFS guys, but I know I trust the expertise on this board. Please help!
Thanks!
Phil

ebeckels

well...how bad is ur tap water? I use tap water with dechlorinator and everything is fine....a little phosphates and some algae due to that, but nothing too bad. I have inverts, stars, snails, a couple shrimp some crabs, anemones, corals, and everything is fine.tell us what are ur water readings?

stevew

I live in North Atlanta(Duluth) and haven't had a problem, only started my tank Dec 15th, but I've had snails and hermits since Jan 15th with no issues. I am using tap water with Aqua plus tap water conditioner.

underthesea

i use tape water and always have and never had any problems with my corals or fish. Just use a dechlorinator and you should be fine. Granted the best thing to have is Ro/ Dionized water but not everyone has one of them. You should be fine.

krux

Not sure how expensive the lfs water is, but you can get DI/RO water from your local bottled water supplier, delivered to your door on a weekly or by weekly basis for your water changes in 5 gallon jugs.
Also if you look in some of the hobby magazines, or surf around a bit you will find RO units that can put out 10-30 gallons a day starting at about 140 dollars.
Not sure how much water you will be going through, but a 5 gallon jug of RO water from my local Alhambra guy costs 7 dollars, and i do 5 gallon water changes so its convenient. After i have done 20 changes i will have spent the money for a RO unit so I'll probably buy one then, but again it is up to you.
Don't pay a bunch of money for DI/RO water at your LFS if that is the route you choose to take without at least looking around town for a cheaper supply.
Even in my small town of 60,000 we have 2 or 3 water stores where you can buy water that has gone through every imaginable type of filtration, depending on how much you want to spend. For about 4 dollars a gallon you can get RO/DI that has been steamed, condensed, and then sent through a UV filtration unit. So it goes as far as you want to spend it seems.

phild

My water readings are fine (well, at least for the stuff I test for, I do not have a copper test.) pH - 8.2 trites - 0 trates - 0 ammonia - 0.
I have been searching for water test results from my water co. but cannot find any yet. The people I called at the water co. were beyond clueless. Anyone from Atlanta (Alpharetta) area know?
At this point I have only 3 damsels and some LR. The LR is doing fine (great colored coroline algea all over).
BTW - this is a 90 gal bow FOWLR.

harvey floyd

I use tap water, that has been filtered through a brita water filter. (coming from the kitchen sink) I throw in some dechlorinator and everything seems fine so far.

fishymissy

You can check your local water supply here
<a href="http://www.epa.gov/water" target="_blank">www.epa.gov/water</a>
Sorry, forgot to add, that if you have copper or lead pipes in your house that will not show up on these reports. Also that ALL ground water has silicates, this is not stated on these reports either.
I use my local tap water and I put the Phos-zorb in my filters to take up excess silicates and phosphates (which also comes from food).