LFS in Connecticut?

gooch

Do they exist anymore? It seems like 7 years ago when I was into this I had 3-4 places nearby that I would rely on, now I cant find anything decent around me. There is a ***** nearby and thats it... Well there is this one reef place 20 mins away in Milford but they are absolutely ridiculous with their pricing.

rbby228

im having same prob live in nyc and only place close enough is ***** but they have limited products

sueandherzoo

Originally Posted by Gooch
http:///forum/post/2930666
Do they exist anymore? It seems like 7 years ago when I was into this I had 3-4 places nearby that I would rely on, now I cant find anything decent around me. There is a ***** nearby and thats it... Well there is this one reef place 20 mins away in Milford but they are absolutely ridiculous with their pricing.
I know neither of these are exactly "close" to you but I frequent All Pets Club in both Wallingford and Branford - they are awesome. Unfortunately I think most of the other ones in Connecticut are all "north". However, ordering online from this site has been a great experience for me each time I've done it but I know there are sometimes when you need to have something NOW and can't wait for the mail.
Good luck!
Sue

gooch

Originally Posted by SueAndHerZoo
http:///forum/post/2930962
I know neither of these are exactly "close" to you but I frequent All Pets Club in both Wallingford and Branford - they are awesome. Unfortunately I think most of the other ones in Connecticut are all "north". However, ordering online from this site has been a great experience for me each time I've done it but I know there are sometimes when you need to have something NOW and can't wait for the mail.
Good luck!
Sue
I would have no quams about ordering a more expensive fish via online through this site, but when its the small fish where the shipping costs are more expensive than the cost of the fish itself it becomes a little unrealistic. Branford and Wallingford arent out of reason.. I'd be willing to drive almost anywhere within the state and even spots in NY along the western Connecticut Border.
How decent is this All Pets Club place? Sounds like it focuses on other things besides fish so usually I am hesitant to head out long distances to try such places. Is their Saltwater section well developed and how is their live rock supply?

gooch

Originally Posted by Subaru07
http:///forum/post/2931249
Gooch send me a private mess and ill help u out.
I cant seem to figure out how exactly to do that.. There doesnt appear to be any option to do that. Do you have to have a certain amount of posts for that ability to appear?

renogaw

google ct fish stores for a great listing of them
pms are not activated on new accounts right away

gooch

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/2931331
google ct fish stores for a great listing of them
pms are not activated on new accounts right away
I actually tried that step as one of my first attempts. Most of the places listed via that are defunct or just flat out lousy. I have gone as far as 15 pages into that and still havent come up with anything worthwhile to drive out to. I would much rather have a referral from someone who actually knows and cares about this hobby than just flying blind driving 45 mins out to a place that probably only has 2 saltwater tanks running with a couple damsels in each.
I cant really rely on the internet for 100% of my needs, as it certainly is my primary consideration there are small things that just are flat out ridiculous to purchase online and pay twice, to 10 times their value just for shipping because they are a live product, know what I mean?
My email is fastbreakgo@hotmail.com if someone has some decent recommendations for anything in the connecticut area. Thanks.

sueandherzoo

http:///forum/post/2930992
I would have no quams about ordering a more expensive fish via online through this site, but when its the small fish where the shipping costs are more expensive than the cost of the fish itself it becomes a little unrealistic. Branford and Wallingford arent out of reason.. I'd be willing to drive almost anywhere within the state and even spots in NY along the western Connecticut Border.
How decent is this All Pets Club place? Sounds like it focuses on other things besides fish so usually I am hesitant to head out long distances to try such places. Is their Saltwater section well developed and how is their live rock supply?
I'm not sure how to grade how decent the store is because we all have individual likes and experiences but I frequent the Wallingford one several times a week and never leave there empty-handed. They have everything a person could need to get a good saltwater tank up and running and they get new fish deliveries in about 3 times a week. Plus when I want a fish or invertebrate that I don't see I just ask the Fish Manager (Ed) to order it and it comes in within a couple of days. The tanks are clean and healthy and I've never lost a fish from there. Always a decent selection of live rock at $6.99 a pound. I'm also impressed with their stock of drygoods - anything I've ever asked for is there, as well as lots of frozen foods. If you've never been to an All Pets Club it's worth a ride - it's a unique type of pet store.
They're both (Wallingford and Branford) owned by the same person but I've only been to the Branford one once - Wallingford is much closer for me.
I think you'd like it.
Sue

pastor b.

Dear hobbyist , here in Bridgeport ,the only places to go for saltwater fish are : Pet land Discounts in Derby ( Rt. 8-Exit 16 Pershing Dr.) ,Another in Greenwich called the House of Fins ,(by the way,they're very expensive ,but they have an excellent selection ), Exotic Corals in Milford (Bob is sky high expensive ), ***** in Milford next to Walmart ,***** in Stratford (They don't take good care of their fish at all), All Pets Club in Branford and Wallingford ( the salt water fish that I've brought from them live and are taken care of). And ***** in North Haven near McDonald's . I'm always on the look out for a new saltwater fish store .LOL

gooch

Originally Posted by Pastor B.
http:///forum/post/2931750
Dear hobbyist , here in Bridgeport ,the only places to go for saltwater fish are : Pet land Discounts in Derby ( Rt. 8-Exit 16 Pershing Dr.) ,Another in Greenwich called the House of Fins ,(by the way,they're very expensive ,but they have an excellent selection ), Exotic Corals in Milford (Bob is sky high expensive
), ***** in Milford next to Walmart ,***** in Stratford (They don't take good care of their fish at all), All Pets Club in Branford and Wallingford ( the salt water fish that I've brought from them live and are taken care of). And ***** in North Haven near McDonald's . I'm always on the look out for a new saltwater fish store .LOL

Yeah I went to that place and I got sticker shocked. Just everything in there was well inflated in price. Small Clown triggers that normally are priced around 70 dollars were there for 150.00 a piece. Another thing that seemed sort of weird was when I asked about purchasing live rock I got a response like "I am sure we could possibly sell you some of that, I'll have to ask the owner if he'd be willing to". It just struck me as weird to have something in a store and not even be sure about selling it to someone... especially when he quoted around 8-9 dollars a pound for it and part of it wasnt even submerged and it was all white.... Just didnt seem right. Maybe there was a rational explanation for it all but that place rubbed me the wrong way.

renogaw

http:///forum/post/2931347
I actually tried that step as one of my first attempts. Most of the places listed via that are defunct or just flat out lousy. I have gone as far as 15 pages into that and still havent come up with anything worthwhile to drive out to.
um, try the first link LOL that that exact search brings you. it lists all the stores in the state (almost)
I don't know of stores down near you, but if you want a centrally located great store, go to Puppy Center in West hartford.
also, look up CTARS (ct area reef society) we have discounts and great price deals from local and online vendors.
we're also having a frag farmer's market in march

gooch

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/2931819
um, try the first link LOL that that exact search brings you. it lists all the stores in the state (almost)
I don't know of stores down near you, but if you want a centrally located great store, go to Puppy Center in West hartford.
also, look up CTARS (ct area reef society) we have discounts and great price deals from local and online vendors.
we're also having a frag farmer's market in march
I just realized you are from CT as well! When I used that google search I came across a lot of generic pet store names with puppy and whatnot in the title and never considered them as fish stores so figured the search was pretty bogus and useless.
One of the people here on this site sent me a link to list of a whole bunch of CT fish stores where the owners continuously post updates as to what they have. I saw that CTARS mentioned and linked from there, it really looks interesting. I think once I get things set up I will strongly consider joining it, but with my setup that I am currently in the process of doing I might be borderline on the lighting. Thanks though
Oh, can you tell me more about Puppy Center? Like the size of the place, quality of livestock, appearance, prices (high? bargain?) Hartford area is about 45 mins to an hour from me and certainly worth exploring if the place is worth it.

renogaw

puppy center is probably the most popular store in the hartford area. they are setting up a HUGE frag section at the moment. they get in shipments that are usually gone the same day...
look at that site... it's a really good thing that someone did.

renogaw

as for ctars, $20 initial membership charge can be paid back quite quickly with discounts and specials if you're resetting up (such as $36 for 200gallon instant ocean at one of the stores)

daninct

Wet Pets in vernon 84 exit 64 or 66 will get you close (rt 30).
Aquatic Wildlife in manchester on vernon line 84 exit 63 (rt 83) near buckland hills mall.
***** near walmart buckland road also exit 63 off 84.

renogaw

heya dan :)
btw, i cannot stand the store in manchester...
there's also a new store that opened up in stafford springs

daninct

Hey ren - good to be back. I don't mind the manchester too much. A few nice folks but definitely some "sales" guys. I was able to deal with him a bit on the anthias and he gave me the best price on my 90 gal drilleld at wholesale. I do 90% of my stuff at wet pets or drygoods on line. Wet pets gives a decent deal on salt and I get the discount coupon in the mail all the time.
Who is in stafford? Have a name or address?
Hey - looking forward to the show in march!