LFS in Houston

ovenmitt

Need a few of the best Fish Stores in Houston. We are coming down to visit and want to see what Houston has to offer for fish stores. Mainly looking for Fuji LR but if it is a really nice store I would like to see it anyways.

ovenmitt

Am I to believe there are no good fish stores in Houston TX? Or just no one from there looking in this forum?

Consindering that the usa is large, and people on this forum are from all over the usa, let alone all those from other parts in the world. Give it a while. I'm sure somebody from the houston area will see it.

peppergc

Hello I am from central Texas but I have been to Aquarium World in Houston once and do want to go back soon. Any ways they seemed to have allot of fish and inverts when I was there. Also have an entire wall in store that is an aquarium. Was awsome. 13157 Northwest Fwy, 713-329-9989, lol just happen to have that because used map quest to get directions last week. Have a good time. :jumping:

armandoc

I live over here in Angleton which is about 45 miles south of Houston. I would agree that Aquarium World is a great store to visit, but their prices are sky high. Their LR prices are not too bad if I remember correctly. I think that I recall that LR sold for right around $5 lb. If you do happen to go there, the LR is on the last aisle on the back wall.
Hope this helps!

ophiura

I used to work at Aquarium World.

Yes, the prices are high, but I doubt you will find a more impressive store with experienced staff as a general statement.
FWIW, I happen to disagree with some of their opinions, but many of the staff have been there years. They also have a 7 day guarantee. I find discussions on these boards amusing. People want a lot in a store (clean store, knowledgeable staff, excellent warranty) but complain about prices. :notsure: Oh well. It is worth seeing regardless of whether you buy anything at all. They have a 40,000g display (so they say), a 3000g sump and some other large displays.
There are many other LFS in the area, many of which are sketchy but have lower prices. These include:
T&T on Hwy 6 south of the westpark tollway (perhaps one of the best)
City Pets on Beltway 8 and, uh, bellaire or bissonet or beechnut, I can never remember.
Global Fish and Pets is in the area, about 4 miles east of beltway 8 on again, bellaire or one of those B's (on a map it is the first major street south of Harwin).
FishLand on Westhiemer and Synott
AquaticWorld is in the Aquarium World neighborhood (gee, not trying to pick off the name) at 290 @ Jones.
Village Tropical has recently moved...but may be worth finding (though again nice store = expensive)
Or you can just go to the local reef club for directions as many are sponsors. Google Marshreef

Also consider the Aquarium Restaurant downtown which is an interesting place to eat (I also worked there
)

ovenmitt

Thanks for the replys everyone. I looked up Aquarium World, T&T and Village Tropical. Village Trop is now over on Lomitas by Kirby Dr and 59. Going to check out those 3. Aquarium World sounds pretty crazy with that huge tank in there.

ophiura

YOu may want to call Village Tropical to see how much of there system is set up. I have heard they are still cycling a lot of their tanks.