LFS in Pittsburgh

kmatysek

For Pittsburgh-area:
I'm advising (from a distance) someone new to reef tanks. Aside from recommending good books and to spend significant amounts of time researching before they begin, I'd like to point them to a good LFS which will help them get started.
Any recommendations? I looked at Elmer's (Monroeville) web site and they look pretty comprehensive, but it's hard to tell from that if they'll give good solid advice, not just sell their stuff.

frenchman

What a better place than salwaterfish.com?? :D You know the web site with bunch of good info. The price on their packages is very good too ;)
I used to be very skeptical about internet order for live stuff but I recently received my package from salwaterfish.com and was pleasantly surprised. I'll order again from them. :D

kmatysek

Thank you both for your suggestions.
Peddler, I like the sounds of the Canonsburg place better than Elmer's, so that's a big help! Is the URL you gave for the Canonsburg store? It looks like an internet-only site. What's the name of the store?
I agree with Frenchman's comment about this site, but I'm not sure I want to start them off that way. I guess I really valued the individual attention and advice we got from our LFS when first starting out. Not a substitute for doing our own research but it helped I think you need to tap someone else's experience base until you have acquired your own.
[ August 21, 2001: Message edited by: KMatysek ]

deborah

Elmer's is a nice store and the only one I know of around here that carries SW supplies! They are good for LR but expensive, Corals but again expensive and have quite a selection of SW fish, again quite expensive! IMO Elmer's is an ok store but very expensive! 42.99 for one coral is a bit too much for me to pay. :eek:

sangysc

I happened to grow up in Canonsburg, PA (Canon-Mac '84) and am now living in Columbia, SC. I've been to dozens of LFS's from Augusta, GA to Louisville, KY to Pittsburgh, PA and none are any better then "Wet Pets" at the corner of Route 19 and Waterdam Rd in McMurray/Canonsburg! The owner really knows his business and is more than willing to invest the time to make certain that you are successful in the hobby. I would highly recommend this LFS to anyone in the Western PA area . . . it blows Elmer's (in Monroeville) out of the water - no pun intended!
John Sandstrom

deborah

Canonsburg is a bit far for me to travel, I would have to make a day of it and bring lots of money! LOL I live 45 minutes east of pittsburgh!