Lfs Job Help!!

gwiley

With many LFS owners using this thread i thought i could ask for a little bit of some help on getting a job...
Lately ive been looking for a job since im about to be out of college for the summer break. I thought since i really enjoy working around saltwater fish and helping people out with their troubles that working in a LFS would be a really great job.
:thinking: i got to wondering what LFS owners would look for in an employee?!... if you could please help me out with some answers in what you would look for i would greatly appreciate it..
:notsure: gwiley

bergamer

while I do not own a fish shop, just remember to tell the customers that finding nemo can be kept in a fresh water bowl and that you can keep a naso tang in a 20 gallon tank. That is what the store owners likes to hear-- as it equals cha ching

ross

They look for knowledge in the subject of sw fish, be able to identify and tell people about all kinds of fish. You also have to know the basic things like doing water changes, etc. You have to talk with people alot and give them advice so you need to be friendly and not too shy.

fishnerd

I used to manage a large LFS, and summer is the slow season for aquarium stores. You will need some really good experience, as you will be competing against other college students, as well as HS students.
Good Luck

gwiley

is their anything in particular that would really impress an LFS employeer? and what are a few key points i should check back so i can know for sure if im right on?

sato

Learn scientific names for things such as:
The bacteria in the nitrogen cycle
Common fish(Yellow Tang, Clownfish, etc)
Some of the more widely known inverts like anemones and some corals.
Throw in some stuff that you think they wont know, like I went back to the LFS that I used to work at and talked to some of the other employees about cleaner clams and they were amazed!
I dunno if any of that will actually help you get a job, but it will make you look smarter on the board

ophiura

Lose any attitude and just do the darn water changes and scrub some algae. That is what it is all about.
And you will need to know your freshwater stuff too in most cases. And you won't make a lot of money.
I would say that many LFS are willing to train some on the fish - and if you are honest you'll have a lot to learn. But if you are going to moan and gripe about getting wet doing water changes week after week, or scrubbing algae or whatever...that would be a turn off.
Many LFS owners think they know it all, and they won't be real open to hearing different opinions. So you can have them, but know when and how to get them across, IME.
And choose the store you work at carefully. You may not be impressed with many of the tactics (such as the nemo scenario above). You may not be able to change that, and the owner may not like you edumacatin' the public at the store's expense. That can make for a summer of misery.

phreakemup

I think I'll try n chime in here.. I manage 2 LFS's in the New England area... Now, ur saying this job is just for the spring break, then yes most of these guys are correct.. U will need to have a decent amount of knowledge, cuz the LFS is not going to want to "train" and "teach" u just to have u leave in a few months..
Most importantly though, is to be pleasent, eager to learn, and well kept.. An LFS will not mind training, if u are ready to learn, and seem like someone that it would be worth investing this time to... There is a certain degree of comon sense that would be needed for the job too.. One of my favorite questions to ask on an interview is, "how many ounces are there, in a pound?" I know the answer, but u would be surprised how many people dont!! I'm not gonna type the number, just so we can see if anyone gets stumped and says 12!! LoL Lemme know if u got any other questions!!
Phreakq

gwiley

wow thanks for all the helpful replys!...
O and there is 16ounces in a pound (can't believe i still remember that)

on getting this job im wanting to start sometime this summer, and continue, hopefully, through the entire year. Im wanting a good stable job, that i would really enjoy working at without dreading to come to work each day...
also i have one more question that comes to my mind in getting a job at a LFS. what would catch the eye of the employeer in hiring? would it be better to just ask for an interview or to just explain that i would really be interested in working there?