LFS on Long Island, NY

mkzimms

I have been into the hobby for quite sometime now and have had a hard time finding a good LFS on long island. I frequent my usual places
Aquarium Adventure
Pets Warehouse
A Lot Of Fish
but i have yet to find that golden nugget of fish stores. i hear everyone talking about amazing stores but i cant find one on long island. does anyone have any suggestions, im looking for a very good selection of softies not so much fish. i would even pay a little more if i could just find someplace where they had the good selection and constant inventory. if you could give a little description of them and what your opinions are that would be awesome. i live in lindenhurst but would drive to the ends of the earth for the right place. Thanks in advance.

nycbob

there is a place fishtown usa in queens. not far from nassau. its on northern blvd and francis lewis blvd. very nice selection of corals. prices r decent. they get new coral every wednesday.

mkzimms

i think ive heard of them but ive never been there. ill take a look, my parents don't live far from the nassau/queens border. much appreciated.

ninjamini

next time you are in Florida. Yea I know you get here every other NYer does. I have 8-9 great LFS near me with a great selection. Its too many LFSs to do in one day and there all within 20 miles. Go 50 miles and you got a good 14-15 stores.

degbowl

Originally Posted by mkzimms
I have been into the hobby for quite sometime now and have had a hard time finding a good LFS on long island. I frequent my usual places
Aquarium Adventure
Pets Warehouse
A Lot Of Fish
but i have yet to find that golden nugget of fish stores. i hear everyone talking about amazing stores but i cant find one on long island. does anyone have any suggestions, im looking for a very good selection of softies not so much fish. i would even pay a little more if i could just find someplace where they had the good selection and constant inventory. if you could give a little description of them and what your opinions are that would be awesome. i live in lindenhurst but would drive to the ends of the earth for the right place. Thanks in advance.
I go to Aquarium Adventure and Pets Warehouse all the time. Try Fishtown USA. You will like that store alot. Where is A Lot of Fish ? I live in nassau county and never heard of them.

mkzimms

A Lot of Fish
262 Montauk Hwy
Babylon, NY 11702-3512
owned by a guy who i believe does most of his sales by mail but keeps his stock in a store where you can go if local. new stock usually mid week, every now and then you find something really nice there you gotta have. i stop in all the time because hes down the road, real nice guy very knowledgeable.
i find aquarium adventure pretty expensive but they have nice stock. i used to swear by pets warehouse but IMO their coral stock and maintenance has gone down the tubes as of late. i do like two of the guys that work there though, they always have the answers im looking for and take the time to just BS with me.

mkzimms

just checked out fishy, inc's website, they look pretty good... im going to head down there tomorrow after work and do fishtown on saturday! im really excited, i love trolling for corals!

drew2005

Mutts N Butts in Merrick is good. Ive bought lots of stuff there without any problems. Aquarium Adventure is a waste of time. Highly overpriced.

teen

fishy inc is good for frags and corals, his prices are more than fair imo.
fishtown usually has both nice fish and corals. i stopped by there on my way home from the city today, but they were already closed.

dragonzim

Try AquaHut in Coram. They are mainly a fish shop but one of my friends that works there has an importing and distribution business as well and they should be beefing up their coral selection very soon. Also, if you dont mind spending the money, Country Critters in Patchogue has some great corals, but they are expensive.

mkzimms

checked out fishy inc this week, they were great. i like that they frag and grow in house. picked up a mushroom rock, ill take a few pics as soon as i can find my digital cam. cant wait to check out these other stores. ill be by my parents house tomorrow so ill head to pet barn on my way to fishtown. i really appreciate all the feedback!