LFS Received a Blue Ring Octopus

muskyhunte

Good Morning
My LFS received a blue Ring Octopus yesterday. What an awesome looking creature. But I would have to say its not for me. I can belive how poisonus it is. I would like to see some picture of some Octopus if some has one. Are there any type of non poisonus Octopus that you can have in a reef tank or Non Reef tank.

tome

im no octopus expert but i do know that an octopus will probally eat any fish or invert it can get to

cubfan

I hope your LFS have great insurance. Any type of accident with a blue ringed means certain death. There is no known antidote for their venom and a person would most likely die before ambulance personnel could arrive. Truly one the, if not the, deadliet creatures in the ocean.

big boy69

I don't know if there are any that are non poisonous.
I was told from the LFS that if they "ink" in your tank, everything is dead and you have to start from new.

evilss

your lfs is crazy. thats one that needs to stay in the ocean. not a fish tank. i hope no one gets hurt.

muskyhunte

Who ever buys this octopus is crazzzzzy. I dont know why some one would even want to deal with something like this.

franz

Your LFS might want to view Octopussy to get the full effect of the deadliness of their creature.
Any chance they have a black mamba for sale too?
:notsure:
The Blue Ring is truely a beautiful creature and I agree with evilss on keeping it in the ocean.

scubadoo

With a beak that can penetrate a wet-suit, they are one little cute creature to definitely look at BUT Don't touch.
The bite might be painless, but this octopus injects a neuromuscular paralysing venom. The venom contains some maculotoxin, a poison more violent than any found on land animals. The nerve conduction is blocked and neuromuscular paralysis is followed by death. The victim might be saved if artificial respiration starts before marked cyanosis and hypotension develops. The blue-ringed octopus is the size of a golf ball but its poison is powerful enough to kill an adult human in minutes. There's no known antidote. The only treatment is hours of heart massage and artificial respiration until the poison has worked its way out of your system.
The venom contains tetrodotoxin, which blocks sodium channels and causes motor paralysis and occasionally respiratory failure. Though with fixed dilated pupils, the senses of the patients are often intact. The victims are aware but unable to respond.
Although the painless bite can kill an adult, injuries have only occurred when an octopus has been picked out of its pool and provoked or stepped on.
SYMPTOMS
* Onset of nausea.
* Hazy Vision. ( Within seconds you are blind.)
* Loss of sense of touch, speech and the ability to swallow.
* Within 3 minutes, paralysis sets in and your body goes into respiratory arrest.
The poison is not injected but is contained in the octopus's saliva, which comes from two glands each as big as its brain. Poison from the one is used on its main prey, crabs, and is relatively harmless to humans. Poison from the other gland serves as defense against predators. The blue-ringed octopus either secretes the poison in the vicinity of its prey, waits until it is immobile and then devours it, or it jumps out and envelops the prey in its 8 tentacles and bites it.

pufferman

If people keep importing such potentially dangerous species, we cannot be responsible for the deadly outcome of it.

fishy411

i can almost gaurantee that someone is gonna get killed unless it dies before they can sell it. Or if someone picks it up without knowing it is deadly

aquaman

It was my understanding that these were illegal to sell. Anyone know for sure? If so and it is a blue ring, maybe you should contact animal control, or the police and have them check into it.

aquaman

Originally posted by wizardofos
I would hope that they are not legal to import. Or we may end up with tghem living in the carribean. Just like we now have these popular aquarium fish in the Atlantic.
http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2004/s2227.htm

I know what you are saying, but the fish that they are having trouble with are not illegal. So how could a fish that is not illegal give you an indicator for one that is? If these octopus were illegal to sell then only the seller would be liable, so they would not want to sell them. Lion fish are not illegal so the people buying them are not taking the time to understand there requirements, and when they out grow the system they are in, the aquarist naively dumps them in the ocean with the best of intentions for the animal. (BTW the article mentioned above had a link to a more in-depth study, and in the study they cannot positive place the blame on the aquarist, but make the jump to that conclusion anyway. And just to give president, in the 1980‘s a researcher working on freshwater Oscars decided it would be easier to study them in a habitat closed to there own, so he dumped them in the river. Later he was arrested for doing so, but it is often blamed on the general aquarist. Sorry for the rant.) I guess my main point is if the octopus was illegal, no one would have one to dump or to be bitten by.

scubadoo

Other possibilities are sited in this article..although the unlikely status is given. At least they explore other possibilities...unlike the NOAA article.
How these fishes got here is not clear, but they are probably the descendents of released and escaped pets. It is thought that a large number of them escaped captivity in Florida during hurricane Andrew. The other possibility is that they were transported here in the bilgewater of a ship, or transited the Panama Canal, but both of these are highly unlikely.

aquaman

Originally posted by ScubaDoo
Other possibilities are sited in this article..although the unlikely status is given. At least they explore other possibilities...unlike the NOAA article.
How these fishes got here is not clear, but they are probably the descendents of released and escaped pets. It is thought that a large number of them escaped captivity in Florida during hurricane Andrew. The other possibility is that they were transported here in the bilgewater of a ship, or transited the Panama Canal, but both of these are highly unlikely.

I agree with you the most likely way was aquarist dumping them, and they even give a few other explanation. However, they place the blame very quickly on us the aquarists. The thing I do not like about this is it fuels the fire for regulation for fish that really do not need it. If they are going to regulate, let us stop the nurse and other large sharks from entering the hobby. Maybe I am a bit paranoid, but I follow politics very closely and the news and see a change toward “Big Brother” being on out tail all the time.
Remember its not paranoia if they really are after you. :thinking: :scared:

sharksbait

Originally posted by muskyhunte
Good Morning
My LFS received a blue Ring Octopus yesterday. What an awesome looking creature. But I would have to say its not for me. I can belive how poisonus it is. I would like to see some picture of some Octopus if some has one. Are there any type of non poisonus Octopus that you can have in a reef tank or Non Reef tank.

An octopus has to be housed by itself because it will eat everything including another octopus.You can keep them with corals though.here are a few pics of mine and some babies..... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t/octopus5.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t/DCP_1178.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ait/growin.jpg

sharksbait

Originally posted by big Boy69
I don't know if there are any that are non poisonous.
I was told from the LFS that if they "ink" in your tank, everything is dead and you have to start from new.

The ink is not poisonous.The way that it does harm is it is very thick and if they inhale it can suffocate them.If they ink real bad you can strain it out with pantyhose and then having a good skimmer and running lots of carbon in your filter will quickly take care of the rest.