LFS Received a Blue Ring Octopus

aquaman

sharksbait
Hay what kind do you have, it does not look like the common octopus, but I am no real expert at them. What I know about octopuses is from reading articles and watching, animal planet discover and shows of this nature. Give a little detail about it, or a link to another post where you did, please.
BTW sorry for the hijack.

sharksbait

Originally posted by Moray345
sharkbait how is the mom and the babies doin????

Momma is not doin so hot.i don't think she'll live another week but the babies are doin great.growin like weeds.They hatched about 2 weeks ago and were the size of a dime and now about the size of a quarter.I just moved them all into a new inwall 75 and since then the babies have been out quite a bit and very active.I have about 25 or 30 babies and I think I am goin to give them another 2 or 3 weeks and I'm goin to sell them off for I am goin to have to separate them before they start killing each other......

sharksbait

Originally posted by Aquaman
sharksbait
Hay what kind do you have, it does not look like the common octopus, but I am no real expert at them. What I know about octopuses is from reading articles and watching, animal planet discover and shows of this nature. Give a little detail about it, or a link to another post where you did, please.
BTW sorry for the hijack.

Mine is a O. Briareus.There is a really good forum Tonmo.com where you can get alot of information and are alot of knowledgable people on there who have or had many different kinds of octopuses.........

moray345

Originally posted by sharksbait
Momma is not doin so hot.i don't think she'll live another week but the babies are doin great.growin like weeds.They hatched about 2 weeks ago and were the size of a dime and now about the size of a quarter.I just moved them all into a new inwall 75 and since then the babies have been out quite a bit and very active.I have about 25 or 30 babies and I think I am goin to give them another 2 or 3 weeks and I'm goin to sell them off for I am goin to have to separate them before they start killing each other......

sweet
sorry about the momma

sharksbait

Originally posted by RUBBERDUCK
do u REALIZE THAT IF THEY SURVIVE U WILL LIKE SET A RECORD. THE LONGETS LIVED BABIES LIVED LIKE 4 WEEKS.

10 weeks and 2 days

aquaman

Originally posted by Aquaman
It was my understanding that these were illegal to sell.

I just read an article stating they are not illegal, however, not too many distributors, or LFS will carry them, unless you ask. Moreover, many will not even if you do ask.

sharksbait

A friend of mine that runs the LFS was telling me he had a guy come in one time and wanted him to order one in for him.When he asked why he would ever want one of those the man replied "my wife cleans the tank".

aquaman

Originally posted by sharksbait
A friend of mine that runs the LFS was telling me he had a guy come in one time and wanted him to order one in for him.When he asked why he would ever want one of those the man replied "my wife cleans the tank".

Sorry for my skepticism, but it sounds a bit too urban legend for me to believe. I am not calling you a liar but stories get embellished all the time.

W

wizardofos

Now - if my EX WIFE cleaned the tank I would have several of the buggers....

fishnerd

Blue Ring Octopi (Haplochaelna sp) are highly venomous animals. Their venom is tetrodotoxin aka- TTX, the same toxin that is a poison when in a pufferfish. (Generally speaking, venom is injected, poison is injested, if it "jabs" you its venom, if you eat it, its poison)
There are no federal (USA) laws on the importation of venomous marinelife, and they are legal in most states.
I used to run a large LFS, and used to get a lot of requests for them after the National Aquarium had one on display in the Venom Exhibit. I would not import them, even though many transshippers and wholesalers offered them for sale. I believe it is irresponsible to sell them, as well as being a lawsuit waiting to happen.
PLEASE do not buy one!!!!

sharksbait

Originally posted by RUBBERDUCK
do u REALIZE THAT IF THEY SURVIVE U WILL LIKE SET A RECORD. THE LONGETS LIVED BABIES LIVED LIKE 4 WEEKS.

I got them to start eating mysis today.Lookin to break the record........

raphael

Just wondering, how much was the LFS saling the Blue Ring for? I wonder how much the price would be for such a deadly crature, i mean would it go up in value casue it could kill you real fast, I can see a reason why people might want one. I like the Idea of such a deadly creature in my tank. If i saw one in the wild I would have to think about the situation, and the Idea of capture. But in the End I would have to pass on the Idea, the blue ring is no friend to anyone. But the thought is very very apealing.

sankysyuck

Blue ringed Octopi arn't that agressive. They should be kept in a species only tank however. The only way they'll bite you is if you really annoy it, you'd have to really get it mad to do so. They are fairly inexpensive... I saw ones the size of a dime selling for $20 a while ago. They actually can be housed in pretty small tanks because they don't get to be very big and live for a very short time. I'd buy one for my little 15 gal. nano tank, but I can't find them anywhere.

rubberduck

Originally posted by Raphael
Just wondering, how much was the LFS saling the Blue Ring for? I wonder how much the price would be for such a deadly crature, i mean would it go up in value casue it could kill you real fast, I can see a reason why people might want one. I like the Idea of such a deadly creature in my tank. If i saw one in the wild I would have to think about the situation, and the Idea of capture. But in the End I would have to pass on the Idea, the blue ring is no friend to anyone. But the thought is very very apealing.

are u suicidal?????:notsure: