LFS Reviews

clink51

Would it be possible to start a review section of LFS'? For example, you set it as a separate drop down in the review section and divide up by location (State, town, etc). User would submit a location with basic yelp information (Location, exact address, phone number etc etc) I have attached a few pictures from www.cichlid-forums.com which was a forum i was very active on when i kept cichlid tanks and it helped me find my LFS that i use to this day (going on 3 years now).

Feature retailers for Sponsors and such

For the LFS (example of NY)

flower

LOL...I have a rule I live by....NEVER, EVER ask the LFS for any advice on critters, equipment or for their opinions. I go into the store knowing exactly what I want or need. If I want to be educated I come here and ask, or read a book. I don't care, nor would it matter what kind of ratings they have, good or bad.

I want and need the LFS, the worst handicap in this hobby, is not have a LFS nearby. I want them to stay in business, but I sure don't trust anything they have to say.

clink51

LOL, Flower, i have read alot of the posts here and they all have Saltwater, Nanos and you commenting about how u hate LFS. I respect your view, and i have experience the big box stores and the local stores that have no idea what they are doing and see you as only dollar signs. But their are also alot of good places who care about the fish and help prepare the person for that fish through tips, stories and just conversation. thats an even bigger reason for the review section. I travel all the way into Nassau County, Long island and i live in Queens, NY. Its about 45 min to get the stuff i need from this one place because hes always taken care of me and his other patrons.

just my .02 though.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clink51 http:///t/396305/lfs-reviews#post_3530762
LOL, Flower, i have read alot of the posts here and they all have Saltwater, Nanos and you commenting about how u hate LFS. I respect your view, and i have experience the big box stores and the local stores that have no idea what they are doing and see you as only dollar signs. But their are also alot of good places who care about the fish and help prepare the person for that fish through tips, stories and just conversation. thats an even bigger reason for the review section. I travel all the way into Nassau County, Long island and i live in Queens, NY. Its about 45 min to get the stuff i need from this one place because hes always taken care of me and his other patrons.

just my .02 though.

Hi,

I just want to clarify...I don't hate LFS. We need them to be there, just don't go in one looking for advice on equipment or critters.

I just totally do not believe it's wise to go to the store asking for advice. Do you go to a pet store and ask which bunny, puppy, kitten or bird you should get? Of course not. You go into the pet store knowing what you want. If you ask what collar for your new Fido, they will select the most expensive one for you...Fido deserves the best... Does anyone go to Gander Mountain and ask for them to select the tent and any accessories they may need? No way.

Many folks feel a little intimidated when it comes to SW tanks, and in desperation accepts anything folks tell them. This is an expensive hobby, and it gets extra expensive to have to purchase equipment twice... many folks purchase a light, and are told they are all set for corals, Then they go buy an anemone (not knowing it isn't a coral)...same store sold them the light and the anemone. The anemone is dying, and they come on the site asking what's wrong, 99% of the time, the light isn't strong enough. So they wasted $400.00 on a light they now have to replace.

There was a thread here some time back on the stupid useless advice folks have gotten from the LFS... it was comical, and a crying shame. It just isn't smart to go to any store, and purchase whatever they tell you to get.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I think advise on SW tanks is something the new hobbyist needs to do, but you also must be able to weigh that advise, the source, etc. The ultimate responsibility is on the hobbyist because its up to you to come up with a good plan for set up and maintenance, not the store or any other source. For instance. When I first wanted to set up a reef tank (I had already been in the hobby with fish only tanks for years) I spent 6 mos studying and researching before I began the setup process. Everything was planned out (and still I made some errors or, at least, could have made better choices).

Stores are there to sell their own merchandise and most will probably not recommend that you buy a piece of equipment or other item that they themselves don't carry. And believe me, there are a lot more options available for the hobbyist then what they will find in most local stores. Their job is a business, the hobbyist's job is to set up a good system with animals that they can take care of well. Those two jobs are do not have the same goals or outcomes.

While I like your idea about rating stores, SWF being a store itself, is probably not going to go for this since it can become a source of legal problems for them to do so. Its a conflict of interest for one store to advertise or bash another store.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/396305/lfs-reviews#post_3530914
I think advise on SW tanks is something the new hobbyist needs to do, but you also must be able to weigh that advise, the source, etc. The ultimate responsibility is on the hobbyist because its up to you to come up with a good plan for set up and maintenance, not the store or any other source. For instance. When I first wanted to set up a reef tank (I had already been in the hobby with fish only tanks for years) I spent 6 mos studying and researching before I began the setup process. Everything was planned out (and still I made some errors or, at least, could have made better choices).

Stores are there to sell their own merchandise and most will probably not recommend that you buy a piece of equipment or other item that they themselves don't carry. And believe me, there are a lot more options available for the hobbyist then what they will find in most local stores. Their job is a business, the hobbyist's job is to set up a good system with animals that they can take care of well. Those two jobs are do not have the same goals or outcomes.

While I like your idea about rating stores, SWF being a store itself, is probably not going to go for this since it can become a source of legal problems for them to do so. Its a conflict of interest for one store to advertise or bash another store.

Ouch...good point.

Back in the days when I started, the LFS and books were the only place to get help, few people, unless they had cash to waste ever even tried saltwater tanks. Most failed miserably.

The web has opened up a whole new world for us. Sites like this one is a gold mine of information, with so many folks to bounce ideas off of...kids are actually starting SW tanks. In my day that was unheard of. I know lots of fish folks who are still afraid of SW because all they know about them is what it used to be like. I was afraid of getting seahorses because as a girl I couldn't keep them alive for more then 1 day, the hobby has grown by leaps and bounds.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I started the hobby pre-internet and I've made every mistake there is to be made, but, learned from those mistakes. One mistake is thinking the LFS, even if knowledgeable, should be my guide in how to set up a tank. That said, back in the day, there wasn't too much options for knowledge but the LFS and a few books.

clink51

Beth, you bring up a very good point about Salwaterfish.com being a online store. Its still a thought that maybe can be pulled off, but im seeing now that it probably wont happen.

owell, im okay with that, its fun to discuss other things and throw out ideas every now and again