LFS Said...

S

sandy

Hi all. I continue to struggle with my end of cycle nitrAtes. Darn things were at 80 after the 10 gal water change. I think it is because I have been slowly adding LR. I'm done now... I think there is between 70 & 80 lbs in there now (all cured first).
Anyway - one LFS sold me the Fluval 304 because they said I needed the extra filtration... another LFS (one with beautiful tanks) said GET RID of the FLUVAL -- it is nothing but a host of bad junk. He said that powerheads with my LR, DSB and clean-up crew would be fine and to use the Fluval only as a tool when cleaning (blowing stuff off rocks, changing water... )
He said *IF* I keep it on there to clean it out at least twice a week.
I did a 15 gal water change and cleaned out the Fluval for the second time in a week. Have not checked the levels yet today.
So, whadda ya think?
50gal Long FOWLR, 70ish lbs LR, 65lb DSB (mostly Natures Ocean), Skilter, Fluval 304, 3 powerheads (two bottom behind rocks, one upper righ corner, fluval for circulation upper left corner).
1 Purple Tang (3")
2 Percula Clowns (1 inch each)
2 Yellow Tail Damsels (less than and inch each)
1 Scooter Blenny
1 Yellow-Head Sleeper Goby (hmm 4"?)
1 Serpent Star
1 Cleaner Shrimp
3 Pepperment Shrimp
Snails: 3 Turbo, 2 Bumble Bee, 2 Astrlia (spell?)
12 Hermits (various sizes)

underthesea

Are you also running any other type of filter on the tank like a sump or anything? If so get rid of the fluval I also agree that the fluvals should only be used for fresh water tanks.

krusk

IMO, you should not have to change the water during the cycle or right after the cycle.

S

sandy

Had to change the water because unfortunately I cycled with a full tank of fish etc. Will never-ever do that again, but thank gawd I did not lose anyone.
No sump. Just the Fluval and the Skilter. Plus the other stuff mentioned above (dsb, lr, powerheads...
I can just keep the fluval clean since the beneficial bacteria is in the rock and sand, yes?

fishymissy

Using the fluval won't hurt anything. Use it with a filter pad and it will help to keep the tank clear of particulate matter. They are also good for water circulation. And if you need to run carbon or any other chemical filtration, you can do it in there. The downside is that they can clog rather quickly. Keeping it clean will be very important. And yes, most of the good bacteria will settle into your rocks and sand, and anything else inside your tank where there is high oxygen levels.

fshhub

i agree with the one that said not to use a fluval on a sw tank, and if you do, then clean it very regularly, the build up of detritus can become a potential problem later on
the bacteria should be growing in the and bed, where there is almost no oxygen, IMO, i would look at abetter skimmer than the skilter for a 50 gallon tank, you don't really want a filter, but a skimmer anyhow, any filter that works by traping the junk, can be a potentila problem with nitrates, and if you do clean the regulartly then you are also removing some of the bacteria, which helps to make up your bio filter too, so replacing the filters could upset your equilibrium too
another thing, as old as your tank is, it may still be maturing, it is not an overnight thing, to get the nitrates down, it takes a few months in many cases for the bio filter to stabilize and start working efficiently
HTH and good luck

fishymissy

Not to split hairs, but I was referring to the aerobic bacteria, the ones responsible for converting ammonia, and nitrites, they require high oxygen levels.....not the anerobic bacteria which in an oxygen deprived situation (usually in the sandbed) convert nitrates into nitrogen gas. Sorry for any misunderstanding.