LFS trouble. Should I leave them?

S

smallreef

sounds like you have a new duncan and a new LFS.. atleast you know yuo can go there and hopefully get decent frags whether or not you get fish from them is another story...
I do tend to buy everything BUT my fish from LFS's because of the good customer service and most frags I want I only want tiny ones at about $10 or so so paying to ship them doesnt make sense.. but for the fish guarantees online is where its at....

chips

The LFS I got the duncan from offers a 14 day guarantee for something like $7 more on the fish so maybe I will try one from there when I go to my new tank.

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/391164/lfs-trouble-should-i-leave-them/20#post_3467929
LOL...some days I look back at my posts, and realize how much of a "cranky" person I really am. I bet some days you feel like I follow you around to bug you.
My favorite cranky post of yours was back when your skimmer was making that high pitched whistle on your seahorse tank......you left no room to the imagination as to how you felt about that!!

S

saxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipS http:///t/391164/lfs-trouble-should-i-leave-them#post_3467597
O, ground rod is made of an aluminum wire that is connected to a copper insulated wire (copper wire is not in the water) then goes to the ground prong of a plug. The hot legs have nothing in them
Could the alluminum wire be causing a problem?
Who told you that you could use aluminum in a SW tank???!!! Whomever told you it was OK was dead wrong. Are you sure it's aluminum?
The only metal you should be using as a grounding probe should be titanium.

chips

Yes it ws alluminum. I got the idea from the LFS. I have bought one that is titanium and replaced it already. The aluminum wasn't discolored or pitted or anything when I took it out. It wasn't in there that long. Could that be the problem and how would I tell if it leeched anything into the tank?

S

saxman

The only way I know of to test for Al in your water would be to have someone run GCMS in a liquid cell on it, which would be pricy, and you'd have to find a lab to do it (I know one if you need the number)...unless there's an obscure test kit for it.
I dunno how long it takes for Al to be attacked by SW...I suppose it depends on what alloy you have, and whether any of the constituents of said alloy have leached as well.

chips

I heard there was some additive that you can put in the water to get rid of metals like this. Do you know if there is anything like that or is it just a gimic. I also wonder, since I will be changing tanks, if the metals would go away when I move to the 125 tank. I won't be using the water or the sand or anything. It will be a complete new setup except for the rock, corals and fish. I am sure some might follow the rocks but I would think it would be very little.

S

smallreef

Im sure there is some kind of resin to absorb heavy metals...I know they make some for well water???

chips

I will look around for something and see what I can find that won't cause harm to anything. If not I am guessing moving just the rock and livestock to the new 125 there would be very little if any that got into the new tank???? I literally will only have the rock and livestock in there. It will be a new tank, new overlow, new sump, new refugium. Everything else can be rinsed, powerheads, skimmer, heater. Do you think that would take care of most if not all of any metals that could have got in there from the ground rod?