LFS weird question?

dplantz

I was at my LFS early one morning and was looking at a new Coral Beauty and saw a small purple mushroom on one of the rocks in there main reef tank. It was small maybe the diameter of a quater. Well I came back after the lights had been on and shinning on it for 3 hrs or so and it was freaking huge. It was propably the diameter of a cookie (yum, but anyway), 3 inches across, and the stalk was wide and almost transparent from "trumpeting" ? Is this normal (because mine don't) or is it a lack of sufficent light? They only have reg florecent on it so I thoughtit was a bit cruel. Has anyone seen anything like it or is it normal?

michaeltx

different species will react dfferently but yes it very common for a lot of corals to double, triple, even quadruple in size ones the lights come on.
there are some mushrooms called rhodactis mushrooms that can get the size of a saucer.
Mike

dplantz

Thanks, I was just wondering because mine never did that and if it was the lighting, I was going to rescue it because it was only 5$ for 3. Come to think of it I'll probably be back tommorow for it.

socal57che

Originally Posted by dplantz
http:///forum/post/2626156
Thanks, I was just wondering because mine never did that and if it was the lighting, I was going to rescue it because it was only 5$ for 3. Come to think of it I'll probably be back tommorow for it.

$5 for 3 polyps...I'd buy it for that reason alone.

michaeltx

Is this normal (because mine don't) or is it a lack of sufficent light? They only have reg florecent on it so I thoughtit was a bit cruel.
I would actually get some better lights on the tank then get some of them. The better lights will help you keep them nice and pretty. The normal light they will start to get darker over time to accomedate the lower light levels and look completely different.
JMO
Mike

socal57che

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2627934
I would actually get some better lights on the tank then get some of them. The better lights will help you keep them nice and pretty. The normal light they will start to get darker over time to accomedate the lower light levels and look completely different.
JMO
Mike
I think he was talking about the LFS lighting being inadequate, not his own lighting. He was going to rescue them.
Dplantz, what lights do you have.

michaeltx

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/2627940
I think he was talking about the LFS lighting being inadequate, not his own lighting. He was going to rescue them.
Dplantz, what lights do you have.
your right!! I was reading it wrong LOL its way to late to read things.
Mike

dplantz

I only have a 2 bulb T-5 fixture on it now with 1 daylight and 1 actinic bulb, Im going to upgrade soon and get some sps with my new 250w Mh system.

nice...I am looking at getting into SPS too. Others have responded already, but yes, it is perfectly normal to see the mushrooms go from very small to very, very large. I have some that do the exact same thing. Corals are so fascinating!