life after ich

tankedagain

hello , just wondering if anyone can tell me what a safe waiting period would be recommended to be fishless until ich goes away in my main tank? also just have one cleaner shrimp in there would he have to come out during that time?

spsfreak100

The life cycle of Cryptocaryon irritans is aproximently 3 weeks. This three weeks includes all three stages. The life cycle will speed up as the temperature raises, until it gets too hot for the C. Irritans to live (which normally kills the host, also). Raising the temperature up to 82-83 degrees F. will speed up the life cycle of the C. Irritans so the Ich would die off sooner. I would personally leave the tank fish-less for 4 weeks. Normally three weeks is the recommended time, but, four weeks just to make sure the C. Irritans is dead. After all, you wouldn't want another one of your fish to get Ich, now would you?
BTW-
Welcome to Saltwaterfish.com, tankedagain! We hope you'll find all the information you'll ever need right here :)
Take Care,
Graham

tankedagain

thanks graham, i will wait probably to the end of july just to be on the safe side. i am pretty sure ich cant host off shrimp and crabs but i could be wrong. in the mean time i can set up and cycle a qt tank and start over the right way and learn from my mistakes