Life expectancy.

murph

Is there a source on the web that estimates the common life expectancies of the species we commonly keep in our tanks?

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by Murph
Is there a source on the web that estimates the common life expectancies of the species we commonly keep in our tanks?
I only know about one, but i read under good circumstances a blue/green chromis can live 9 years +. wow!

xdave

If you google the scientific name and then check results that aren't from sellers or forums, they usually include that. Might not have anything to do with captive lifespan though.

poniegirl

I have only ever gotten this info by searching the individual fish. I don't have much clue on scientific names, so I just use the "brand name".
It's all going to be approximate, for the most part, don't you think?
Have you got some you are really wondering? I think a lot about this. I have seahorses that are 2 + years and I dread the near future.

xdave

How the heck would they know? It's not like they tag a damsel and follow him around for 10 years. :notsure:

xdave

I had a pair of Tomato Clowns for 15 years. I knew a show judge that had an 18 year old Clown Trigger.

stanlalee

besides you really dont know how old a fish is before you get it. You may have had a fire shrimp for 2yrs (my case) but the shrimp was adult size when I got it. For all I know it could be 4yrs old

poniegirl

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
besides you really dont know how old a fish is before you get it.
So true!
I have wondered about a few "missing" fish on this board, and 1, personally.
I think that the posted ages (in commonly used sources) are probably just averages of aquaria experiences. That would be worth tracking. A post your (TRUE and currently alive) oldest fish species.
Originally Posted by xDave

It's not like they tag a damsel
took me 3 hours to catch my "captive" damsel

Murph, do you know of a source?