Light acclimation to new MH ?

buzzword

I am getting new bulbs on friday and am wondering how to acclimate my corals to the new light. I currently have 10K's and am getting 14K's. Should I put them in and gradually increase the time they are on; say 2-3hrs first day, 3-4hrs on 3rd day, 4-5 hrs on 5th day etc? I have my MH on for 8hrs a day right now and am seeing fading colors on my corals and my brain started to die until I moved it to my wifes tank, so I guess the bulbs are past due for a change. They are 10 months old. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

buzzword

Wax, why eggcrate and how do you mean over? Do you mean on the tanks inner rim like I have for my wifes jawfish to keep him from jumping? And why will it cut the light? Thanks for the input.

wax32

Yes, like over on the surface of the tank. Take it off and put it back on, you will see the difference. You can do 2 or 3 layers if you want, taking a layer off every couple of days.

buzzword

Now why you guys wanna confuse me like that LOL. No offense Wax but I don't understand the rational. If I just increase the photo period then there is no need for the eggcrate, right? I just want to do this right and not shock/scorch my corals.
Thank you both for your input.

wax32

You can do it either way, but why make a short, bright day, when you could make a normal length cloudy one?