light/anenome question

twobitt

I would like to get an anenome for my false perc one day so I'm trying to do some research on lighting and had some questions. I've spoken with 2 different lfs and both have given me different answers. One told me that I need an actinic light for an anenome and the other told me that the actinic is strictly for looks and that the daylight bulb is what is important. I currently have one of each in the tank. I believe they are HO flourescent bulbs. For the time being I don't want to switch to t5's or MH and was hoping to just get another of either the day light or actinic to support an anenome if that is at all possible. If not then I will just wait until I do a major upgrade to lighting in the future.

nycbob

u will need to wait. anemone need an established tank of lat least 6 months tmo. u will also need t5 or mh. pc might do if ur tank is real shallow and u hv enough bulbs.

twobitt

My tank is over a year old, sorry I did not point that out. My understanding is that their are a couple of types of anenome that do not require high intensity lighting. But back to the original question. I was just curious which light provides what anenome need to live. The day light or the actinic.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Twobitt
... The day light or the actinic.
Neither. HO bulbs will not support a photosynthetic anemone of any species long term.