Light Cycle

rbaldino

Different people use different cycles, and a lot of it depends on what's in the tank and how healthy the tank is running. Most people have thier lights on for 10-12 hours a day. Sometimes, if you're having a bad algae problem, you may need to run the lights for fewer hours. At the same time, if you never have any nuisance algae, you could be able to get away with running the lights even longer.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by rbaldino
Different people use different cycles, and a lot of it depends on what's in the tank and how healthy the tank is running. Most people have thier lights on for 10-12 hours a day. Sometimes, if you're having a bad algae problem, you may need to run the lights for fewer hours. At the same time, if you never have any nuisance algae, you could be able to get away with running the lights even longer.
well said. I myself am running a 14 hour day to maxmize growth. but the norm is 8-12 hours, I would never reccomend under 6 hours as its not enough time for corals to photosynthesize enough. (unless you just upgraded lights or something similar).

curlsoc

reefkprz, do you run your MH for 8-12? I'm still trying to decide on a lighting schedule. Will have softies to start, then LPS, then SPS down the line. I have 2x250 and 4x65 on a 110 gal, 30" tall. Lights are about 4 - 6 inches above tank.

ace223

i'm having red slime problems, it goes away when the lights are off for a few days. i'm so puzzled????????????my levels are all ok.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Curlsoc
reefkprz, do you run your MH for 8-12? I'm still trying to decide on a lighting schedule. Will have softies to start, then LPS, then SPS down the line. I have 2x250 and 4x65 on a 110 gal, 30" tall. Lights are about 4 - 6 inches above tank.
I'm running VHOs not halides. UI fi had halides I would probably only run them about 8-10 hours a day for the softies save electricity untill I needed longer lighting for the SPS then slowly increase the lentgh of time up to 12 hours as I started getting SPS.