Light Help

bigjuan

I need help selecting what kind of lights i want. I am thinking about the CoraLife lights with Two 65 watt 10,000K and two 65 watt True Actinic 03 Blue straight. Is this a good choice?, Does this have a shimmering effect?
-Thanks for your time-

harris28

I have the coralife on my 75gal with 2 bulbs, both 50/50. For a fish only tanks it looks pretty good. But I am ordering a new fixture tomorrow of T5's. The light has lasted me for 3 yearsnow and onl had to replace bulbs. If you are looking into corals Imight think different but then again I am new to corals. But the light looks good and is good quality. And no it will not gove a shimmering effect on the water at all.

bigjuan

I see. Well i will want to have at least one anemone and at least one coral but not until September. I need some lights that will support that and give a shimmering affect. Are the T5's good. i get really confused on all the light lingo. Metal Halides, T5's and all that stuff.

wangotango

the only type of lighting system that will give you a shimmering effect would be halides. since all fluorescent lighting systems spread the light out over a farther distance and doesnt pin-point in over one spot you dont get the shimmer. pc will still allow you to keep a nice selection of coral though.
-Justin

rbaldino

Originally Posted by BigJuan
ok like the abreviation "pc" what the heck does that mean? those abreviations confuse me.
PC = Power Compacts
MH = Metal Halide
T5 = 5/8 inch diameter fluorescent tubes